Ticks

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Canine Advantix contains a repellent as well as an insecticide.

http://k9advantix.petparents.com/

I switched to it a couple of years ago for the dogs - you can't use it on cats - when I had neighbors on two sides with untreated dogs and the fleas were about to unionize and demand fair pay.

Crabbergirl if you're having to bath your dogs every 2 or 3 days, it would appear the Herbal Armor is not working very well. I would love a good herbal solution to fleas, but I've never had one give my dogs and cats adequate coverage.

I have been using capstar once a week and then topical advantage as well as Adams flea bath. We just have nothing but sand and the fleas never die off because we don't have enogh cold weather. The Herbal Armor is something we try to spray on them a couple times aweek in between baths. Ticks I don't have a problem with it's those darn fleas. The vet says not to worry everyone here is going through the samething even those that poison their yards. He says the fleas are resistant to everything.
I keep mint growing which helps with repeling fleas as well as pennyroyal. It's just a really bad year and it's not even summer yet.

Capstar is good stuff. I know the fleas must be bad in your area because if we don't have a cold winter they're awful up here.

Wow...Crabbergirl....I would be building that room for the extra large litter box!! Poor thing...you must be exhausted from giving all those baths. It wears me out bathing our four monsters. Another advantage of Ohio's COLD WINTERS...plus I love snow...lol!!

Our neighbor does not like to mow his yard and the have 2 dogs and 6 puppies right now. The combo of all that and the hot weather makes it hard to keep fleas and ticks under control. I want to say something to them but they are never home.

Ugh richnkim, if he doesn't like to mow...he probably also doesn't like to clean up all those dog's waste...I feel for you. Makes me happy that I don't have neighbors.

I have made up my mind that I am going to ask him nicely to clean and mow. If that doesn't happen, I know the name of the company that they rent the house from. LOL

Miss Kim, there was something I learned many years ago in my first semester of college. The teacher told us that our rights only extend to the point they interfere with the rights of another person. In this situation, you have the right to be free of ticks and fleas. So his right to ignore the problem is invalid.

Kim,
There may also be local ordinances that require him to clean it up. Here if your grass is over 6" you can first get a warning, second receive a ticket and thrid the county will claen it for you and lean the property for a very high fee for their services. Call you local zoning office and then you don't have to even be involved. Keeps thing peaceful in the hood!

I have an idea! *LOL

.. Everyday feed your dogs real garlic gloves,(how may cloves depends on your size, health and kind of dog you have) can smash them a bit and put it in a chunk of meat or egg or piece of fish or their wet dog food.
I believe there is a very high probability it will repel ticks, at least the baby ones.
Another idea is have your dogs smell like garlic. Powder them with a shaker lightly,or make a water garlic mix and mist lightly. Another thought is

"Shaklee Basic H"

I know it will / did (with the formula/ ingred. they used up until 2000) kill fleas and all soft body in a second or two. All you will need is warm water in a 16 oz spray bottle.add a drop or 2 of basic H.
You can Pull a tick and spray to see if he dies and try a light misting on the dog see if they come to the surface.

It is an organic product I have been using for everything for years.

If it doesn't kill the hard body ticks you will have to remove them carefully somehow,I think you cant let them pop after they are removed I think babies come out of those (older females), I was a small child when we had a tick problem not sure about that truthfulness of the popping and babies.....*lol ..somehow I believe it is the carbon dioxide that encourages them to stick to the dog/people. Dry ice gives that off, maybe that can help you if you have them near or around the house..Some dry ice in a box??
Maybe a quick search on hardbody ticks in your state, it will be different tick here up north..
My 2 cents...:)

Kale:)

Ugh richnkim, if he doesn't like to mow...he probably also doesn't like to clean up all those dog's waste...I feel for you. Makes me happy that I don't have neighbors.
pick up...but why it will be gone after a few rains and jumping on as the poochies play.....mow??
I think not...grass will die come winter.

No neighbors huh...what!???... you blessed one..;)
I think I am going to move, don't know how, where or when or how .....
but I feel it in my bones.

Kale:eek::eek:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back