Wanted info about planting by the moon

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Planting by the Moon-December 2009-Blue Moon

I know some of you plant by the moon and I would love to hear from you about it. I know my grandfather used to plant by the moon but I never learned about it. He always planted after the full moon in May as he said the frost was done.This yr the full moon is early as it was last night and the news is saying frost for ths week so it's too early here to plant. I will wait until Memorial weekend to plant my tender plants outside.
I would love to learn more about the moon and when you should plant.
Please share your knowledge with us

Laurie,
I don't know much about planting by the moon but I have heard people talk about it throughout my life. I do know though, for those folks who plant by the moon, December 31 will be our second full moon of the month. When this happens it is called a blue moon. We have not had a blue moon since 2007.
So, this is a good month to plant if you follow planting by the moon!
GR

My grandparents planted by the sun and moon but I don't remember any of what they said, bummer. But I do remember my grandmother always saying to plant parsley seeds on St. Joseph's Day March 19th, so I do..............

Howdy Moon Watchers*lol:D
My darling daughter bought me a Farmers' Almanac 2010!
Just peeked in it a tad, what exactly does "last spring frost" mean?
I hope it doesn't mean the last day temps will go below 32degs before June.
Does it mean that the top inch or more has (is starting) to defrost?
What does average mean ? Year months or places ie cities monitored ?
How is it determined?
Oh my, I just read for another second..50%chance frost (freezing temps ) will occur after the last spring frost?! and/or that freeze will come before the 1st fall frost.
Glad I read that because I knew that one*lol
Why not just change the date to a later and earlier for fall?
How does it work I think I am missing something.:eek::confused:

Thank YOU!:D
Kale

Kale, my ground has not froze this year, I can still dig and the ground is just like it was last summer easy to work with, I found over the last 4 years I can move most of my cactus out to the shade house earlier than the year before last year I had them moved out by April 10th and the year before was the last week of April, it seems to be warming up earlier ever year I'm going to try and plant some flower seeds around April 15th just to see how well they do when they come up and if they make it past the last so called last frost.

Is that right !???
Not here!
My season has lessened drastically since 2005.
My frost and veggie kill use to be after Halloween for the pumpkins now it is the last week of September!

Lost crops and plant life from the 3rd week of May until the 16th of June!
I still chance the first week of June for planting but I have to cover well !
My ground in all exposed areas are solid frozen!
All pots every size were frozen in December.
Do you have building or windbreakers of some kind?
You are slightly south of me but you have the Ocean humm... Interesting .

Kale

RJ and I plant by the almanac as my Dad and both my Grandfathers and on down thru the generations, which were all farmers. Everything is controlled by the phases of the moon right down to ocean tides, when wild animals feed, fish bedding and traveling down steam to produce, etc. I've found that planting by the moons phases makes for a better production from plants. I've also planted at off peak times and things like peas produced a beautiful bush and almost no peas! I don't plant flowers by the moon..although, they might grow better and produce more flowers if I did. As for my vegetables..it's a must to plant and transplant by the moons phases.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back