What have you bought or ordered this year so far?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

I just bought some bareroot peonies and dahlia tubers. Hubby is happy to see the house filling up with plants again. Me too. I also got a pack of tomato seeds, but it is too early to start them. I just must keep in mind that our last frost date is May 4th, as compared to 7 years ago when I left south central PA and moved to Ontario, and the last frost date than was May 15th. Last frost date in Goderich was the end of May. I will love the few extra weeks, for sure. I have some geranium cuttings downstairs from last years crop. I just fed them for the first time and they are looking good.
I planted fall pansies and they are starting to bud now. I left all of my pots and flats behind in the move, so I am scrounging right now. It will all be back shortly I am sure.

Dor

I have bought some veggie seeds, a new Amaryllis from Walmart, red onions buds, and some tomatoes from Wintersown. I have some tomatoes that I got in a Christmas RR on another site and some okra too. I do want to buy some bareroot roses and some lily bulbs. My hyacinth from Dizzy is blooming. I have a pretty pink and a white one.

plantlover

I've bought a bunch of packages of lavender seeds, some Sonata cosmos, Salvia and some Vanilla Ice Sunflower seeds.

Kya D

I ordered several kinds of cosmos that I don't have yet.
I ordered veggies for the garden
Several herbs, annuals, and perennials.
I love seeds from Mow's gardens and try to order from her since she is a small business.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good Question!!
Here I go:
From William Damm Seeds:
Abutilon 'Bellvue Mix' ~flowering maple ~used as an annual~ can be brought inside for the winter.
Calendula 'Fiesta Gitana Superior' ~(super dwarf annual)
Campanula 'Meteora' ~annual variety
Chaenorhinum 'Summer Skies' ~annual
Zinnia 'Lilliput Gem Formula Mix' ~annual
Juncus 'Spiralis' Ornamental Grass ~perennial

From Garden North <<<<--you all gotta check out this site for rare and unusaul seeds ~all of these in my list are perennial~except for the last one!
Aconitum hemsleyanum ~ 'Climbing Monkshood' grows as a short vine.~zone 5/6.
Delosperma -aff. congestum ~ hardy 'Ice Plant' to zone 4.
Draba ~species mix ~very short ground cover/rock garden ~zone 3.
Escobaria vivipara 'Pincushion Cactus' for zone 2/3.
Orostachys spinosa ~hardy succulent for zone 3.
Potentilla astrosanguinea var. argyrophylla ~dwarf cultivar with red blooms~ zone 5.
Spilantes oleracae 'Toothache Plant' ~annual ~can be brought indoors for the winter months.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought my organic Pyola & Soap Shield from Gardens Alive! Off to a good start. Need to get my seed oreds in to Gurney's for all the veggies. I still have some from last year. Haven't had the time to figure out exactly what I need. I could just order what I want:p but that would overkill!

sfishergirl

let's see bought this calendar year 2009....
brugmansia culebra
brugmansia eternity
brugmansia Dr. Seuss
I am hoping to buy some elephant ears, cannas, lavender, rosemary, tomato, zucchini, bell peppers, cucumbers

Spider_Lily

I bought 4 Rose's from Wal-Mart 2 Peonies.Several pkg's of assorted flower seed.Going to Wal-Mart today no telling what will follow me home.:)

Sashweezy

I spent far too much last year on perennials and shrubs. I even bought a Syringa vulgarils Nadeshda on a whim so I won't be buying anything other than annuals for my planters and plants and seeds for my veggie garden. I hope. :eek:

I say my veggie garden but it's really my grand-daughter's. I got rid of mine years ago when I wasn't able to tend it anymore but she talked me into letting her have a spot so she could grow veggies. This year, of course, she wants to go bigger. However, she's not satisfied with just veggies but needs a flower border to make it pretty. :rolleyes: She's definitely got the gardening 'bug'. :) I don't mind as she's first in there to help me when I'm doing anything in my own gardens.

Kya D

I am really struggling to keep from ordering from Gilbert Wild. they are having a great sale and some daylilies are as cheap as 2 dollars. I love this company and I am sure that I will be ordering some daylilies and some hostas

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
so far I bought some iris rizomes, 2 rose bushs, and some onions. the iris and the roses are planted and I will have to get the onions in soon. I'm about ready to find a tomatoe or two to get started. I put the little plants in pots until april when I put it in the garden.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am really struggling to keep from ordering from Gilbert Wild. they are having a great sale and some daylilies are as cheap as 2 dollars. I love this company and I am sure that I will be ordering some daylilies and some hostas

Wow I looked at their daylilies, i want most of them and some of their peonies too
i've never heard of them before. How's their shipping and charges? Do you get nice size plants from them?
Thanks

Kya D

OMGosh I love this site.
The daylilies are really big healthy plants and I have ordered asst hostas (10 for 15 dollars) They were beautiful. They always send a bonus plant too.
I ordered 5 stella d oro Dl last year for a dollar each and when I got them there were 5 really little ones, but then I realized that there were 5 or more in each bundle and there were 5 bundles. I Gave away stellas to everyone I knew. I know that when I ordered the Hostas they were 10 asst plants for 15 dollars and the shipping was free.
It seems like there is a certain amount and the shipping is free. (like 50.00 and S&H it free.) But I may be wrong.

Kya D

Killer deal Ms Laurie
I checked the shipping and it is free with a 125 dollar order BUT they have a flat rate UPS of $7.50

Last edited:

Dor

I am going to order from Gilbert Wild also. I will be getting the hostas and some stella and a few other Daylilies especially some of the $2 ones. I have had my catalog for a while but put everything away because I didn't want to go overboard.

Kya D

Dor don't ya love it when ya have to make an order then pare it down then prune just a little more off. I know what you mean about having the catalog for a while just not being able to be able to get an order made up.

Dor

Yes I do love that Kya. I had to do the same thing with my Value seeds order. I went to Walmart and did the same had to put some of the bareroots plants back. I know I will do the same when I go to Big Lots tomorrow, grab my bareroot roses at the door and do the rest of my shopping and put back what I think I can live without.

I bought a red and white Amaryllis at Walmart last month and potted it up. It is getting ready to bloom. I am so happy.

I got some great hanging pots at the Farmers Market for $1.29 each. I need to figure out a way to hang them under my overhang. I have aluminum siding and don't want to put holes in it and causing rusting. I have a few shepherd's and may ned to get some more. Big Lots is the best place to buy them. I bought some large pots at Family Dollar for $2 and medium size $1. I plan to get some compost tomorrow too.

plantlover

I lucked out big time today. I was at the grocery store and they had some spectacular bromeliads there. They had knocked the price down to $3.99 from $8.99, so I looked through the collection and found a beautiful specimen that has two pups starting to form, and the flower is a big beautiful red flower....and I just love red!

Annette99

The new varieties I am trying this year from Gardens North-astilboides tabularis,arisaema consanguineum, arisaema candidissimum, alchemilla alpina. From Prarie Moon-dodecatheon meadia. mitelia diphylla, yucca glauca polygonatum canaliculatum, penstemon grandiflorus, heuchera richardsonii, dicentra cucullaria, coreopsis lanceolata, Campanula americana, aclepias verticillata, angelica atropurpurea. From Value Seeds leoonotopodium alpinium, commelina. aquilegia danish dwarf, froms Dianes Seeds, Penstemon blue buckle, echinacea pallida, verbascum violetta, From Swallowtail coreopsis american dream, Newest hybrids heucheras, red carpet sedum, Gaura the bride, and bergenia heart leaf new Hybrids mix. From Pine Tree The Dawn mix anchusa, fan salmon lobelia, apache sunset agastache, esprit mix penstemon, majorette mix hollyhock, splendens perfecta amaranth, jewls of opar talinum paniculatum, Nicotiana only the lonely, blue angel salvia, erodium sweetheart, fan blue lobelia and alpine bllue star scabiosa. From Parks, veronica prostrata nestor, St Johnswort, miscanthus sisensis new hybrids, astilbe x arendsii mix, FromT'sflowersandthings thalictrum aquilegifolium. gaillardia grandifolia, Linaria vulgaris, chocolate eupatorium, leopardds bane, purple palace heuchera, sidalcea, anaphalis, clustered bellflower, and jasione perennis.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The new varieties I am trying this year from Gardens North-astilboides tabularis,arisaema consanguineum, arisaema candidissimum, alchemilla alpina. From Prarie Moon-dodecatheon meadia. mitelia diphylla, yucca glauca polygonatum canaliculatum, penstemon grandiflorus, heuchera richardsonii, dicentra cucullaria, coreopsis lanceolata, Campanula americana, aclepias verticillata, angelica atropurpurea. From Value Seeds leoonotopodium alpinium, commelina. aquilegia danish dwarf, froms Dianes Seeds, Penstemon blue buckle, echinacea pallida, verbascum violetta, From Swallowtail coreopsis american dream, Newest hybrids heucheras, red carpet sedum, Gaura the bride, and bergenia heart leaf new Hybrids mix. From Pine Tree The Dawn mix anchusa, fan salmon lobelia, apache sunset agastache, esprit mix penstemon, majorette mix hollyhock, splendens perfecta amaranth, jewls of opar talinum paniculatum, Nicotiana only the lonely, blue angel salvia, erodium sweetheart, fan blue lobelia and alpine bllue star scabiosa. From Parks, veronica prostrata nestor, St Johnswort, miscanthus sisensis new hybrids, astilbe x arendsii mix, FromT'sflowersandthings thalictrum aquilegifolium. gaillardia grandifolia, Linaria vulgaris, chocolate eupatorium, leopardds bane, purple palace heuchera, sidalcea, anaphalis, clustered bellflower, and jasione perennis.

WOW! :eek: You went all out Annette!
My order is just a fraction of ours!!
Wish I had your budget!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com