Delphinium issues

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mfsinger

Today's my day for posts. This is number two of three total questions. My mom bought a delphinium that she planted in a full sun location. I read that they do not like full sun and it started to show it so I attempted to dig it up and put it in a pot with some fresh potting soil until we could find a more suitable home for it. I have it tucked away in a shady area but it's looking really bad. It isn't dead yet but I'm not sure how much more life it has. The flowers are all dry and beyond wilted and the stalk is greenish brown. Once again, $20 has been spent on a plant that is about to go to waste. I have the same questions here as my previous hydrangea post. Is there anything that I can do to try and save it? can it be over watered? The soil has been pretty damp since it was potted.

This yard that belongs to my parents seems to be cursed. I'm trying to help them spruce up the area but it's almost pointless the way things just seem to die.

Delphs are subject to crown rot and when that happens there is nothing to be done!
$20 into the compost pile!
Delphs love morning sun and afternoon shade!
They also prefer an area that has rich soil with even moisture. They rot if the soil is too wet for a prolong period!

Argh. Another one gone. I'm not going to bother with anymore plants around their house. They need to officially retire and move to Oregon anyway.

Accually delphiniums like full sun, but they like moist, well-drained soil. It sounds like you have too moist of soil in the garden. Hints, the hydrangea and delphinium. Here are some plants that do well in moist soil: Bleeding Heart(partial shade), Lobella( tolerates full sun),phlox( add mulch on top of plant to keep roots cool, tolerates full sun), Astilbe(full morning sun, partial shade), spiderwart(partial shade). Also, Have you tried adding fertilzer or rich soil when you are planting for that extra boost of nutrients to the plants?
Good luck: Zone 3-5 is what I'm referring too

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back