Dogs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Anybody having a yellow lab, do they have trouble with their ears or just a general itchiness of the skin. We have owned several different breeds and have also had a chocolate lab. The only ones we have had trouble with is our yellow labs. We have owned four now and all four had trouble. Cotton has the worse problems by far. She is on antibiotics more than not with her ears. We have sent blood to the university for testing but then learned that the results would not be good because she was on prednizone for the itchiness. The vet took her off the prednizone and we are waiting the 45 days for it to get out of her system so more blood can be drawn. In the meantime, we have changed her food several times hoping to find what she is allergic to. The only thing left is to just make our own food for her. The poor thing can't run and play with the rest of the dogs because she has to keep stopping and scratching. She has to wear an elizabethian colar when ever we can't watch her or she scratches her ears until they bleed. She also bites her underbelly until it bleeds and is all scabbed up. She seems to just feel lousy and has no energy. When she was on the prednizone she had energy and no itchiness, but its bad on her liver so that is just a temp fix. Any suggestions?

I have a dog that had the same problem. First make sure feeding out of metal bowl some dogs are allergic to plastic and ceramic. I changed food to Nutro lamb and rice and started adding apple cider vinegar to her water. 1tlb spoon per gallon of water. Now she just does her normal dog scratch. I really do hope that you find something that helps;)

I have a daschund. He is a dog and a half long and half a dog tall and when he plays in the snow his transmission drags. But we love him.

Good old tex went to the vet to get his annual checkup, boosters, nail trim, and I decided to have him chipped. After all someone out there might want a new improved model of daschund. He is a dog and a half long, and a dog high. He has some really long legs but we love him anyway.

My sister had a daschund that her vet proclaimed the "ugliest daschund he had ever seen". Poor Zeke had some, let's say, "developmental issues", and was constantly tripping over his own snout. At least I never had to worry about him running after me and trying to nip at my ankles!

Extreme Sunbathing

Matilda's glad it's finally spring, too.

Sunbathing4628.jpg

Blueaussi isn't she the prettiest thing. I used to have an Australian Shepard. I loved them but they don't belong in the city.

Blueaussi isn't she the prettiest thing. I used to have an Australian Shepard. I loved them but they don't belong in the city.

Well, that's Matilda, the Beastly Dog, she's my lab/aussie mix. Abigail, the one in my user icon, is a pure Aussie. Matilda came from the pound, and Abby from rescue.

I have to disagree about not having an Aussie in the city. I've had Aussies more years than I care to admit to, and I lived in downtown Columbia, the state capital until 2001. It's a little more work than having a low energy dog, but we managed just fine. I do admit that I enjoy having a largish yard here in the suburbs, but that's as much because I can have a larger garden as much as having a big yard for the Thunderpups.

Do your dogs do any digging in the garden, Blue? Fiona is letting our chickens run free in the afternoons now, but once I plant stuff in the garden, they have to be kept in the pen. Fresh dirt is an open invitation to a chicken. They were a pain when I was working on the chicken pen awhile back. When I would dig a post hole, they would start scratching in the pile of dirt and filling the hole back in. I had to move fast. LOL

This girl loves the water. Sometimes it's hard to keep her from the river. She and our other 4 are very aware of gators but she still loves to cool her belly on a hot day.

Attachments

• Olee.jpg
    Olee.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 327
Blue,
What a beautiful animal. I had an Aussie that I was training for a guide dog. It was a test at the Guide Dog School , we gave it the old one two but it just didn't work out. Too much herding.

Randy,
I have one hen left and she is really a pet. I just mulched in my back gardens and this weekend I had to get the rake out and put all the mulch back in the garden.:p

My daughter was going to work this morning and this sweet little puppy was in the middle of the highway.She almost ran over it.She called Mom to the rescue.Look's like a yellow lab.Now to find it a home.I wish people would not throw them out like trash.They need to fix the problem.

Attachments

• Mom's flowers 025.JPG
    Mom's flowers 025.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Mom's flowers 026.JPG
    Mom's flowers 026.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 323
  • Mom's flowers 027.JPG
    Mom's flowers 027.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 324
It sure IS NOT that sweet little things fault that he was born. Some People really need to take some responsiblity

Around here they have a prison program where they take puppies and have the prisoners train them. After they are trained they are adopted out. Saves a lot of puppies from the pound.

Crabber, Fiona will keep the chickens penned up when I put the garden in, but in the meantime, they give David fits. He rakes the mulch back each day when he comes home from work and the chickens scratch it out the next day.

Around here they have a prison program where they take puppies and have the prisoners train them. After they are trained they are adopted out. Saves a lot of puppies from the pound.

I was the Curriculum Director and VP of a non profit call "Project C.H.A.N.C.E." ( Children Helping Animals Needing Compassion & Empathy ) We took our program to a level 10 juvenile prison ( not a jail ,a prison. you would not believe how many kids between 13 and 21 are felon career criminals) We relieved the shelters ( animal control & Humane Society ) from excessive dogs and exotics. I wrote an entire 3 year program ( with the approval of Dr. Thomas Lane Professor of Vet Med. Uof F)We then used the animals to make connections with these young men, thereby teaching them compassion, empathy and responsibilty, through care, training and education. Providing them with skills to gain employment through local vets upon their release. Most of these kids had never been shown love or taught love. These animals provided a great service. Obedience training not only trains the animal , it trains the individual. We then adopted the animals out to low income seniors as companion pets. It was my dream job/career but since we were non profit and there were just 3 of us, we had extreme trouble with finances and had to change our focus. .That was in 1998. Now Project C.H.A.N.C.E. continues in the hands of my partner as a foundation for Autism. I have had to move on but last year I was able to train out 2 dogs for Project C.H.A.N.C.E. It is a great rewarding feeling and highly under rated.

I have found the puppy a home.My sister came by and took it home with her.Just so happened her little boy's dog got out of the yard.Someone ran over it she was looking for him a new puppy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back