Surprise lily

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

I was given 2 Lycoris bulbs aka as surprise lily, all I know it that there in the same family as the Amaryllis I will have to grow them in pots and that's all I know, can any one tell me more, I found info on the net but I would like to hear from some of you that grow them :confused:

Thanks

Annette99

I have them in my gardens, I'm zone 5 moving toward zone 6 and I leave them in the ground. The leaves come up when the daffodils do and die back about the same time. About a month later beautiful pink flowers on 15" long slender stalks appear. The bulbs are quite large and multiply like crazy for me.

SassyWVGirl

Annette

From the looks of the pictures of your gardens, I'd say you have a really green thumb. I bet everything thrives there. Just gorgeous.

GardenBear1

Annette99, I'm in zone 5b and I wasn't sure about planting them in the ground, do you have yours in the shade or full sun, I would love to have them in my side garden where its shade most of the time

FishinBC

Bear I have a bunch in shade most of the afternoon, they do not bloom as well as the ones I have in full sun. I love them, here in the south they call them naked ladies. LOL!

GardenBear1

FishinBC, I remember my Mom growing naked ladies when we were kids and she left them in the ground all year ,that was in the NE Ark and that was many years ago :)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com