The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Sorry- have a question here.(slight change of subject)

OK folks---------------major gripe here. Don't know if I'm just out of touch or what-but-------I just opened a can of veggie/beef soup. (Have a cold or something coming on and didn't feel like making my own right now.) Well---was eating away and reading these posts when I just happened to glance down at my spoon----UGH!!!!!!!!!!! There was a "small" piece of beef with a big ol' vein sticking out of it. Thought at first it was a piece of maccaroni 'til it dawned on me it was embedded in the meat. Gross! Got to checking the other "small" pieces of beef and MOST of it was all gristle. And this was a"good" name brand of soup.!
Have the standards of what they put in "ready made" foods slackened that much? I know I very rarely eat canned soup any more--but this was just plain awful! Darn near "lost" what I had already eaten!
So-is this normal now for ready made foods? Or am I just being too picky?

You have a right to be picky. I would have tossed the stuff but maybe taken a few pictures to post on the internet first. Get something like that going around on "YouTube" and I bet the producer of that would start changing their product pronto.

BTW, I finished volume 3 of "The Winning Of The West" by Theodore Roosevelt yesterday. I have one more volume to get through. But it surely is interesting to get the real facts behind the formation of that part of the country (Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio).

Randy-that does sound interesting! I always hated "history" when I was in school-but now that I'm "old"(er) LOL-I find lots of it interresting. Especially when you get to thinking about what other people(& our ancestors) went through to have a "better" life for themselves, their children and eventually us!

You have a right to be picky. I would have tossed the stuff but maybe taken a few pictures to post on the internet first. Get something like that going around on "YouTube" and I bet the producer of that would start changing their product pronto.

I hadn't thrown it out yet -was saving it for the dog.(poor dog!);) If I can get my camera back from my granddaughter I'll do that!

Yunno, GP...I hate when that happens. I would email or write the company a letter of dissatisfaction. You will at least get your money back, probably thru coupons for more of the stuff!!

I emailed Campbell's to tell them of a soup I just love. Figured, heck...they should know when they do something right. They sent me a bunch of $$ off altho it was not my intent to get them.

I'm sure they need to hear your story. It's just plain nasty to get stuff like that in your food.

LOL Shine---------oddly enough it was a Campbell's soup! Their vegtable beef (chunky).
I just emailed them to let them know. I'm sure it was a mistake that it got in there-but it sure was gross!!!!!
I did let them know that -as a rule----Campbell's is my favorite kind.:confused: But now---not so sure I will buy any more.
I dont eat canned soup very often anyway--just when I dont feel like making homemade.
Don't really care if I get any coupons-but maybe they'll be a little more vigilant as to what they're allowing in our food!:eek:

Gonepostal your standards are the same but a lot of companies are cutting cost and have lowered their standards. Things just aren't like they used to be.

Your can of soup would not be the only one. If enough people complain, they better listen or they will be looking for a bailout.

How gross....Have never eaten canned soup...YUK!
I do use like mushroom or chicken broth, beef broth in different things i make...
Peggy

I must admit I love one canned soup. Campbell's classic chicken noodle is the best tasting soup I've ever had...homemade or otherwise. I eat it for lunch about every day and can't seem to get sick of it.

I remember my son finding a nasty looking vein in his roast beef hotshot at a restaurant one day. I didn't think that boy would ever eat meat again. And when I was little, I refused hamburgers and hot dogs because I had found bone particles in both. Yuk, I still hate that but at least now I understand how difficult it is to never have them. Fish bones are another thing that gross me out...since we are GROSSING OUT!!!

We have a dusting of snow this morning and it's getting colder and colder. The roads are solid ice and nobody can drive. Of course...what's new here.

Here's my latest baby quilt. Got another started!

Attachments

• ryqu 001.jpg
    ryqu 001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 237
  • ryqu 002.jpg
    ryqu 002.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Sometimes ya just gotta...GO POSTAL!!:p

(I carried mail as a rural assistant for 5 years)

:D:DSo you know where the "gonepostal" comes from!!!:cool: I loved my "job" but had a postmaster that let her job and "power" go to her head. She made it a nightmare for all of us to work there. I gave it my all for 20 yrs(part time then full time) but was so glad to get out when I did!! Too much politics in everything now.:(

Gonepostal your standards are the same but a lot of companies are cutting cost and have lowered their standards. Things just aren't like they used to be.

Dale-I do believe it's called greed.:eek: Too many "fat cats" at the top willing to lawer the "standards" of their companies rather than lower thier "standard" of living!!!!!

Your can of soup would not be the only one. If enough people complain, they better listen or they will be looking for a bailout.

Randy-one would think that if enough people complained then something would be done------but I dont think anyone is listening anymore!:(

:D:DSo you know where the "gonepostal" comes from!!!:cool: I loved my "job" but had a postmaster that let her job and "power" go to her head. She made it a nightmare for all of us to work there. I gave it my all for 20 yrs(part time then full time) but was so glad to get out when I did!! Too much politics in everything now.:(

Oh, I hear you. My postmaster was just ... oblivious, I guess. I transferred offices and lost 4 years senority by doing so at his advice that I would retain senority. Then, the new office had a postmaster with a year left til retirement and he basically could not have cared less about much of anything we needed. The lights were on but no one was home in either case.

But, oh well, don't mean to dwell on bad things. I loved the job, even casing was a challenge!! And I met a lot of super nice people out on the route.

It's a job that causes you to have to deal with people all the time whether they be good or bad. But realizing this, I make it a point to take an extra jar of jam into the post office every time I mail a parcel. Whoever waits on me there gets the jam. One day, I had an extra envelope in our mail for one cent postage due. Since we have a box that is locked, I took the envelope to the post office and taped the postage due envelope to a jar of jam for that carrier. She had never waved to me before that, but she does now. At Christmas time I take the crew at the post office a big plate of cookies or a pie. That is a stressful time for our postal people and I can hardly imagine having to work in a post office during that season.

I have been at this address for twenty years this year and have had the same postal carrier. Last month I was at home with my van in the driveway. He usually comes around 1:30p if he is not running late. After I never heard his truck I went out to get the mail around 3:00p and their inside my mailbox was a notice that I needed to sign for a letter saying sorry I missed you. I called the PO and asked if he was working and he was not. I advised the postal worker I knew he wasn't because I know he would have rang the doorbell. I rang the bell thinking it might not have been working, but it was and is working, and my doggies were inside and would have barked. That has happened before. I complained and the person answering the phone could have cared less. Next time I will speak with the post master about it.

I don't know how long our post man has been here...long before i moved here... I always know when he is out their...I always his boom box... He is in his mid to late 60's andhe is always jammin to the tunes...usually always on time and Saturdays he is here at 8:00. When their is a box too big for the box...I hear him beeping his horn...hes kewl..
Peggy

It goes both ways. There are persnickity postal people but it is also a harder job than most think. I remember a young woman used to expect me to hand deliver her food stamps(back when we did this)...she would not walk out to my vehicle when I blew the horn. She had mean dogs and toddlers all over the place and it was not safe to get out nor drive into her driveway with the babies. My postmaster did finally back me up and made her come to the post office to get her stamps if she couldn't walk out.

I also remember a woman (in this same neighborhood) who let her 3 year old cross a busy highway to get the mail from the box. I refused to hand the mail to the little girl many times and asked the woman to please keep her safe. She cussed me out and told me to do my job and get my big check and let her raise her own kids. I saw in my rearview when a car hit the little girl and she flew into the ditch. She lived. Sometimes postal people DO have an attitude. Like when someone throws 40 or however many it used to be pennies into the box and an unstamped letter. Now...I put stamps on plenty of envelopes when asked nicely.

Funny, too...at Christmas there was this lady who would leave goodies as a gift...with a big note "THIS IS FOR THE REAL MAIL CARRIER-NOT THE SATURDAY SUB ONE!! I just laughed and wasn't offended, she just didn't know me as well as good old Bill.

And, as a customer I have seen postal attitude and have not hesitated to report it.

I guess every job has ups and downs.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back