The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I hope everyone is doing fine and still with electric. We got dumped on over the weekend, 12 inches, and it's supposed to get really really cold here by the end of the week. I heard from the hubby that it will be in the minus degrees with windchill.
So .... we got a snow blower today. I couldn't get my car in or out of the driveway this weekend (had to dig it both ways) and anytime we have snow accumulation over 3 inches my car gets stuck in the driveway. It was a necessary evil but the monster my husband got was just a little more than we "had" to have in my opinion. But a boy does love his toys. :D

That is true, Natalie. My wife has been after me about a possible power failure and how would we get water without power. We have not been without power for more than an hour or two since we have lived her for almost 10 years. But I have another generator coming now that will generate the 240 volts that we would need for our well. I would have to hook it up though. David would not have any idea where to start.

A quick hello to all...I just got home from snowmobiling in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for the past week. I don't think I've ever had so much fun. Will check in again soon.

A quick break and hello to ya all... Shine sounds like a wonderous time...
I have been busy with things in the sun room...
It is 2° here this morning with a wind chill of -7°... I think the high for today is to be 20.. Yuk is all I can say...
No loss of power yet this season but it isn't over... I have never minded when the electric has gone out in the winter...now i have to say it has bothered me in the spring and summer... We were without electric for 5 days last winter...I cooked and made coffee on the turkey fryer that I put in the sun room to keep my plants safe...then boiled water in their for humidity...evidently the plants loved it....and I had a beautiful show from all the blooms...had fire place to stay warm...actually i rather enjoyed the simplicity of life...
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend...
Peggy

A quick break and hello to ya all... Shine sounds like a wonderous time...
I have been busy with things in the sun room...
It is 2° here this morning with a wind chill of -7°... I think the high for today is to be 20.. Yuk is all I can say...
No loss of power yet this season but it isn't over... I have never minded when the electric has gone out in the winter...now i have to say it has bothered me in the spring and summer... We were without electric for 5 days last winter...I cooked and made coffee on the turkey fryer that I put in the sun room to keep my plants safe...then boiled water in their for humidity...evidently the plants loved it....and I had a beautiful show from all the blooms...had fire place to stay warm...actually i rather enjoyed the simplicity of life...
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend...
Peggy

That simplicity of life is great sometimes and makes you appreciate what you normally have a whole lot more. Hope everyone stays safe and warm til this blizzard blast gets through.

It's cold here too, but not nearly as cold as most. I'll be inside most of the day anyway as I cook dinner for the troops tonight. Grilled salmon is on the menu.

Being very quiet in here the last several days... Hope you are all well...
I have sick granddaughter to free her mom up to be with her mom who isn't gonna be with us long... JoJo is such a joy...can sure tell she isn't feeling well...not her active self... I have several seeds germinating...I am enjoying playing in the dirt... Can hardly wait for spring...
Its still rather cold here...a chilly 15° @ 8:09... a blanket of that white stuff blankets the ground that fell yesterday morning..
Thursday I take my son for knee replacement surgery... He is sure paying the price for his past actions.. He says "Mom you told me but I never realized how true your words would become my truth that I would have to live with"

Randy I have never eaten grilled salmon...but I have eaten fried salmon patties that I make up from canned salmon... I do like those ever once in a while..

Hope every 1 stays warm, happy, and healthy...
Have a wonderful day.
Peggy:)

Hey everyone! I can't seem to get back in the swing of things after my time off!
Grilled salmon=yummy. Salmon patties=stinky!!:p

Michigan and snowmobiling was amazing. We call off life here when it snows...up there they just pile it up and drive on it! There was about 2 feet on the ground. The trails are groomed every day. We threw bags on the sleds and backpacked, stopping late each night. The area is suffering a lot economy-wise...hope we helped a little by leaving some Ohio dollars there.

The guys said I rode better than most fellers they have taken up there, so I'm braggin':) Of course, their cruising speed was about 90 and my top was 55...but those trees looked plenty satisfactory at 55. I only wrecked once...hit the throttle instead of the brake...duh. Stump stopped me nicely.

Got to see Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and a waterfall that looks like Coca-Cola because of decomposing organic matter. I thought I'd freeze but was never even cold (except in the icy sheets of long-vacant-not-yet-warmed motels/cabins)

Snowshoe hares, eagles and wolves were spotted...but not by me.

Sheriffs on snowmobiles WILL pull you over deep in the woods. Always stop at stop signs. And don't wobble too much.

Worst thing that happened was the visor on my helmet fogged up and I had to ride quite a ways with it open in a below zero blizzard...but..oh well!

Pictures are not the best...you need to see it.

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 242
  • slled 027.jpg
    slled 027.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 242
  • sled 068.jpg
    sled 068.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 233
Worked for a few hours went to lunch with my husband and another couple. We are enjoying the snow but it's starting to melt away. Snow is pretty but am sure would get really really tired of it real soon.

it is nice here but classes started today and I already have reading to do. trying to get a hold of my son to order my new macbook. I'll be glad to have it. I think I will like the classes I had today. An art history and world lit. I think they will be good classes.

I had my visit at the nursing home this morning. Didn't have as many people as I had last week, but still had a good time with the ones that were there. The sky was clear and sunny today so this afternoon I started clearing up the debris in the chicken pen that collapsed under the ice and snow. It will take me a while to rebuild everything, but it will be much stronger when I do the rebuilding.

I made a trip to the lumber yard today and brought home the posts that I need for the rebuilding. I set up a temporary pen within the pen so I can work on the outside perimeter without turning the chickens loose. I get tired pretty quick, so it looks like it's going to take awhile to get the pen finished. It will be much better than it was though when I am done.

Randy how many chickens do you have? We just in the past couple of months found a good course for free range eggs. They are so delicious. All your hard work will be worth it and pay off in the long run.

Nothing like the work a good storm causes. I'm sure the chickens will like it when you get done Randy.We are having great weather here. there was a picture of a robin on the weather tonight. If a robin is back then winter is about over here.

Lyn we saw 5 or 6 Robins at one time in our yard couple weeks ago. Been cold more sice then than normal. But I do hope spring is on the way. not just for me but my wish for everyone.

Our robins don't all migrate away, but we can tell when the rest of them come back. We have 11 hens with 5 of them being less than a year old. I don't know if Fiona will get any new peeps this spring or not. We lost one of the new ones last year to a skunk although I did get the skunk afterwards. The chicken pen will be the same size as previously, but will be higher so we don't bump our heads on the cross pieces. I previously had chicken wire across the top and then put bird screening over that once I found out the birds thoroughly enjoyed the chicken feed in the pen. But that was my downfall when the snow built up on the top. If I had just the bird netting, it would have torn and allowed the snow and ice to drop to the ground without taking down the woodwork. The chicken wire acted as reinforcing under the bird netting which was fine enough to hold raindrops and froze closing the openings. The overhead woodwork will be heavier (2 x 6) construction and there will be no chicken wire across the top.

Randy at least now you can get started on the new pen .... Thats a good thing... Life sometimes throws us a few curve balls in the form of Mother Nature wreaking havoc...just keeps us on our toes sometimes...
Too bad I'm not closer Mr Randy I am pretty good at post hole digging...tho it isn't my favorite think to do...
Shine you be looking like your having to much fun girlfriend... What a grand experience... I am a little bit jealous here...
I will be setting a few post myself come spring myself... I am building us a porch outside our bedroom going into the path leading to the pool amd my meditation room...
Spring is something I am yearning for...
I have germinated several seed ...just started a few...don't have my sun room set up yet exactly the way I want it yet ...
All of my corkscrew vine seed but one germinated...tickles me:D...I haven't had any great success with them in the past.
The weather has been beautiful here today...I went out and walked around around the yard and gardens...tidied up out here a bit... It felt wonderful..
Gonna leave in a few minutes to go to birthday celebration for my granddaughter and my better halfs birthday...Jordan is 17 today and Cliffs is tomorrow...
Sending happy thoughts of spring to everybody.
Have a good evning..
Peggy

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 270
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 243
Beautiful pics, Prettylady. Thanks for sharing and reminding us of what's in store for Spring. I look outside now and it looks so bare and drab. I can't wait for all the lush green new growth and variety of colors to arrive again. Seems like it's been forever since the last of my flowering blooms faded last Fall.

Gloria, the Marionberry starts still are looking pretty good even after the freezing weather. I figure those should be coming your way in the next week or two. Once you get them going, you can sacrifice a branch or two and make some more starts to make up a nice berry patch.

I didn't work outside any today and I probably won't get a chance to tomorrow. I have to cook dinner tomorrow and that will take up a good part of the afternoon. Saturday though, I should be able to get back at it and get some more done.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back