Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

There is a restaurant in Pittsburgh suburbs that has the best eggplant and I found a recipe for it on Allrecipes.com and is called baked fried eggplant. After I got untangled from eggs, etc. while it was oookcing in the oven (on a cookie sheet), I heated up some salsa and tomato sauce so when we were ready to eat it, I poured that on top and put shredded Mozarella cheese on it. I don't like soggy eggplant so somebody may want to try this too ~

I made ground turkey goulash on Monday night and it was delish. I kinda adapted a recipe I found. Ground turkey, 99% fat free, whole wheat pasta, onions, canned tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley and chives and topped it with Mexican Cheese blend. Hubby, who hates leftovers it taking the leftovers for work this week.

tomorrow night is vegetarian. I don't like having kids for dinner, ha. Bruce won't like it, but I doubt if he will complain. I will let you know how it goes.

I had this for a nice lunch! it is good!

Rigatoni Salmon Salad

3 cups rigatoni - cook, and drain

Dressing:
3 1/2 Tblsp. lemon juice
2 Tblsp. honey
3 1/2 Tblsp. Olive oil
2 Tblsp. fresh basil snipped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Whisk together and pour over rigatoni. Mix, and chill.
Just before serving, stir pasta and add:

2 cups fresh spinach, torn
2 cups iceberg lettuce, torn
1 small cucumber, chopped
8 oz. grilled salmon, chunked
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Toss together. Enjoy!

Tonight we are having healthy eggplant parmesan. Spray the eggplant with cooking spray, bake them at 425 for 25 minutes. Remove and cool. Layer with 2 c spag sauce, which I have leftover from the other night, and 2 c skim mozzarrella. Oops, almost forgot, bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Easy! We also have some pork tenderloin leftover and a few chicken tenders. I will cut up some radishes, baby carrots and celery.

I love eggplant parmesan. I think I will make a pork tenderloin for dinner tomorrow night. Maybe some grilled potatoes and squash.

I have been looking for this recipe everywhere and I finally found it. I made them about 3 months ago and Rich and I liked them alot. Then I misplaced the recipe. I am so glad I found it. I want to make them tomorrow night to go with the pork tenderloin.

Southwest Corn and Potato Cakes

2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 cup whole corn kernels, drained
1/2 cup mexican blend cheese
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped fine
1/3 cup onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together all ingredients. Form into patties using about 1/3 cup mixture. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray. Spray tops of the patties with cooking spray to help crisp. Bake 20 minutes, turn over and bake 15 more minutes.

We have almost given up potatoes, dang. Pretty much anything white we don't eat anymore. Bruce is down 15 pounds. His diet really changed. It is an amazing thing.

I still use potatoes, pasta and rice. To me, they are good sources of carbs, but they have to be used in moderation.

I agree Randy, but Bruce has a cholesterol issue and he has indicated that if it just takes giving up white bread, most white potatoes, and switch to whole grain pasta he is willing to do it. I never ate much 'white' stuff until I moved to Canada...must be all of the snow that made me switch, hehe. I am interested to see the results of my bloodwork when I go in on Monday. The doctor called last week to tell me that some of the levels that they were retesting are dropping.

That is so good, Jade. Keep up the good work.

As far as eating potatoes I still eat them because it keeps thing from getting boring.

I am going out on a limb tonight with a new concoction. We are having turkey sausage sauteed in garlic and onions, added a can of black eyed peas, added a few cups of raw Kale and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Letting it simmer til the kale is tender. I don't know if it will be any good, but what the heck?

Sounds like it could be pretty good. I have made pizza with that turkey pepperoni you mentioned and the family thought it was pretty good. The doc was happy with my last cholesterol reading and they will check again when I go in next time.

It was an ok supper, but I much prefer spinach to Kale. We did really like that turkey pepperoni and the turkey sausage wasn't bad either. We also had fat free cottage cheese, some fresh picked blueberries, cantalope and nectarines. I still feel hungry, but it will pass.

Tonight we are having heart healthy zucchini crusted pizza. I got an 'aw, come on' from hubby on this one. Hey, you don't know how good something might be unless you try it. I figure if he starts not liking too many of these wierd recipes he will offer to cook, ha. The worst is yet to come, I think that next week I will try a few more bean recipes. Good thing I am adventurous in cooking, always have been. The past 2 months have been very interesting.

We're having leftovers tonight. I cooked butter peas mixed with purplehulls fro my garden, smothered pork chops, fried corn and corn bread. I put some of my jalapenos in the peas. Everything was delicious per my friend Celete. My daughters ate just a little. My youngest daughter says fried corn is her favorite way to eat corn.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back