Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Last night we had pork tenderloin with my rub of garlic, brown sugar, thyme, rosemary and chives, brown rice with onions, garlic and pecans, and assorted raw veggies. Down another pound so far this week. A long way to go, but that is ok, it took me 8 years to get to this point. Have to go to the Post office and stop for horticultural therapy at the nursery on the way home. Then a nice half hour on the treadmill and I should be set for the day. We spent about 3 hours gardening yesterday, I am achey in the hips and back today, but the weekend was so nice that it was perfect weather for it.

That's kind of a good soreness as long as you don't overdo it. I did on Saturday, but it still felt good to accomplish so much. I goofed off yesterday after my morning's activities.

I just found a recipe that I thought would be good for this summer.

Zucchini Pasta

8 (oz.) uncooked linguini
4 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
4 tsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Cook linguini according to package directions. Squeeze the grated zucchini to remove the excess liquid. Pat dry. In a large non-stick skillet, saute zucchiniin the oil for 2 minutes. add garlic and saute 1 to 2 minutes longer or until zuchinni is tender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the yogurt, cheese, salt and pepper. Drain linguini, add to zuchinni mixture and toss to coat.

I thought that I might use sour cream instead of the yogurt. It sound like a good use for all the summer zuchinni!

yum, that sounds good Kim. I kinda wish that I would have put in a zucchini, but I didn't. I did put in a patty pan, so that will have to do. I bought some ground turkey over the weekend, but now wonder if it is lowfat...I didn't read the label(pound myself in the head). I am relearning all of my lowfat, low bloodpressure, low cholesterol stuff.

I use nothing but ground turkey but the really lean stuff is so expensive. I just settle for the a little bit less. I know that it is not as good for you but we don't eat it that often. I compinsate by eating more fish, and veggie meals.

I guess I could survive without a zucchini plant, but I don't intend to. LOL I planted a regular zuke and a yellow zuke. I also planted a yellow crookneck and a yellow straight neck. In the winter squash, I planted acorn, butternut, Hubbard and some pumpkins.

Hey Randy, How long does it take for the butternut squash to produce? My daughter is moving into a house this summer and she want to have some butternut squash for this fall. If she plants it in late July, will it be ready by late October?

Tonight is salmon, steamed asparagus and spinach salad. Bruce's blood sugar is back down in normal range, this is a good thing. It will be interesting to see how our bloodwork turns out after our healthy eating. We both have followup visits coming up.
I figure that if we splurge once a month it will be ok. Now I feel guilty eating anything that I know isn't good for me. I am finishing off slowly the box of chocolates that I got two months ago when Bruce was in Europe. Chocolate keeps the spirits up, right?

Can you guys post some fish recipes. I am going to try to add more fish to my diet. The only way I like it is deep fried...and I know that is no good. Thanks!!

Hey Randy, How long does it take for the butternut squash to produce? My daughter is moving into a house this summer and she want to have some butternut squash for this fall. If she plants it in late July, will it be ready by late October?

I think she can make it with that. Just costs a few seeds to try.

SM, I haven't made it for awhile, but I have made a baked fish dish using just about any white fish (catfish, bass, cod, sole, tilapia, etc.). I bake the fish using tomato sauce and shredded cheddar cheese and about a 1/2 cup of burgundy. It only takes about 30 to 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Had cod baked with a little of bake miracle on it tonite...yummy. Gonna try some on the grill tomorrow with some veggies and lemon juice. Has anyone tried grilling fish in foil with fresh pineapple? This sounds really good to me...am I crazy?

Am waiting for my first White Cloud eggplant from the garden to make this easy recipe.

Eggplant Casserole

Peel and slice eggplant 1/4 inch or so and place in a pan that has a tablespoon of olive oil. Lightly cook eggplant but not until done. Place eggplant in a casserole baking dish and put a small or large can of Hunts tomato sauce. You want to cover all the eggplant. Sprinkle ground red pepper and oregano on top of sauce. Top with lots of mozarella grated cheese. Cover with aluminum foil until cheese almost melted and uncover to brown slightly about 15 to 20 mins. Bake at 375

Dawn, its a brand of seasoning/coating. If you just sprinkle a little, it flavors without adding carbs, fat, or many calories. They also make fry magic but you have to use a couple T of oil when you bake and trying to avoid that. The only bad thing is sodium is pretty high...so I use just a little.

Anyone doing weight watchers. The reipies I have are really good and very heart healthy. IF you want some of them just let me know I'' post the best ones I've tried for you.

Please post CG. I have tried the weight watcher nofat yogurt, but prefer the Dannon nofat. I am always looking for good and healthy recipes. I like pre-tried and recommended ones.
Thanks!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back