Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tonight we are having heart healthy zucchini crusted pizza. I got an 'aw, come on' from hubby on this one. Hey, you don't know how good something might be unless you try it.

Jade
Have never seen this, where did you find it? I tried the wheat crust and I really didn't care for it when I made a pizza last week.

Recipezaar.com Laurie. It is my favorite recipe site, although my computer gives me warnings every time I go on there. I don't care, and will risk it, it is by far the best recipe site I have ever been on. You can get low carb, low sodium, low cholesterol, low fat recipes, or search any ingredient that you have and get a gazillion hits for it. They have lots of ratings for all of the recipes, which is why I like it.

I am looking for low sodium, low carb and low fat recipes. We aren't a prob with dessert, althought I would like some dessert, I am sticking with yogurt with fruit. I am not sure how these no fat yogurts react with your system. They sound good in the print, but....Bruce is down 20 pounds and I am down at least six, that is before our 3 day in a row weekend forest hikes. I love this area. I can really see a diffence in his belly and he is fitting into smaller pants. Now I have to keep up.

Another pound down, yippee, up to 7 now. For tonight, hmm...summer squash casserole, green beans and curry shrimp.

I wore some slacks to church yesterday that I haven't worn in a long time. Summer has been good to me as I have been able to do a lot of work outside. I'm still dropping slowly and have lost 49 pounds in the last 18 months.

my goal is to drop 44 more pounds in the next year, I think that it is possible. Great job Randy. I know that you stay relatively active. I love having the state parks closeby and committing to go hiking/walking at least every weekend. I am also trying to go low sodium to help with the BP. For my age I am allowed about a teaspoon a day. We are attempting to go without any canned soups or processed foods. It is a little tough, but we are managing. I still like salt, but am going low dose. Just a tiny sprinkle.

I started weight watchers about 4 weeks ago. For someone like me who already has a low fat high fiber diet , it takes a lot longer to work. But I have lost 6 pounds as of this morning. Only 12 more to go. UGH!

It is easier to lose weight when everyone in the household is onboard with it. I will never forget the horror that I felt when Bruce was making us bacon and cheese sandwiches on white bread. I think that we have bought our last loaf of white bread. We are even buying wheat buns for burgers. Tonight we are having a salad for dinner. He said he has put on 5 pounds in the past week, I don't know how that is possible. Oh well.

Jade,
Tim still does that to me. I eat very little bread , he makes me a huge breakfast on the weekends and it always has toast with butter. I eat it just not to hurt his feelings but if he's not looking it goes to the dog.And he always fried homefries, I won't eat anythng fried on a reg basis. I feel so quilty. I always end up gaining back my losses on the weekend. :rolleyes:

Weekends are sometimes that way with me too, Crabber. Friday mornings I fix a small portion of steak, 2-1/2 to 3 ounces, for my daughter and the same for me. I fix each of us an egg and a slice of toast. I butter her toast and leave mine alone. I bake some Tater-Tots and have 12 of them and I put some jam on my toast and I believe Fiona puts jam on her toast also, but I'm not sure. I make about 200 jars of jam in a year and I probably use a single jar and maybe a little more. The grandkids make up for that though. I weighed in yesterday at 200 pounds though and that is 50 pounds less than I was in December of 2007. So I am making progress although slowly.

I still think that it is discouraging to get on the scale one week out of the month, so I am going to fast forward until next Thursday before I get back on. We are going to do another long walk this Saturday morning, I am not ready to take on the Appalachian trail yet, maybe this fall. It crosses Rt. 30 about 6 miles from here. I sometimes wish I was 20 again, this is such a great area to live if you are a hiker. We are surrounded by mountains on all sides of us. It is quite lovely actually. Last fall we drove to west Virginia to see the fall color, came home and drove 10 minutes and it was just as lovely. I am a little wary of the rattlesnakes and Black Bears, but I guess you have to die sometime and I can't waste my life missing out on this lovely nature that surrounds us.

Make enough noise as you walk along and bears and snakes will most likely fade away before you get to them. If you ever get the chance, read the story "The Night The Bear Ate Goombagh" by Patrick McManus. It is in a book of short stories and the book carries the same name as that story. McManus has written stories for Outdoor Life Magazine and Field & Stream for about 50 years. I recently heard though that he was not going to write for Outdoor Life any longer. He is the same age as I am though, so I can understand why he would be ready to ease up.

I made the worst healthy dinner last night and I was so excited to try it, but yuck. It was pinto beans, barley, tomato sauce, garlic, chicken broth, onion and a variety of southwestern spices in the slow cooker, then served in tortillas(just warmed, not fried), with cheese, green onion and salsa. It just didn't do it for either of us. Oh well, today is another day. I keep telling Bruce that if we don't try these kind of recipes we will never know if they are any good.

But it does sound like it should be a good combination. Barley is the only thing I would question. I bought some barley one time and ground it into flour to make barley cakes (rolls). I wanted to taste what they were like after reading about them for so many years in the Bible. Barley was considered to be the poor man's grain in those days. I made the rolls and satisfied my curiosity and have to admit that I didn't care for the taste. I used up the balance of the barley in soups and stews and I believe it added well to those recipes.

I really like barley, but next time I will make the baked barley casserole that I know is good. I just didn't like the barley with the tomato sauce and southwestern spices.
Last night we had Maryland Crab Cakes, baked sweet potatoes and a no fat cucumber salad with splenda instead of sugar. It made up for the night before, yum.
Tonight will be marinated flat iron steaks with some kind of brown rice or quinoa, and a salad.

How do you prepare the quinoa? We were told about that along with other grains at our diabetes support group.

Hubby made his great roast beef, yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, corn and sliced tomatoes dinner on Sunday. We did a 4 mile walk earlier that day, so, it wasn't so bad to have a good dinner. We are back on the bandwagon now though. I am down 9 pounds, 35 more to go, but is nice to see the scale going in the right direction.
I am loving eating fish so often, and the garden is giving us lots of fresh veggies.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back