Heart Healthy Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

May I ask what hubby does? BRAZIL??? GERMANY??? He has to speak more than one language then. I hate to drive any more. I honestly cannot go 80-90 mph. I have no depth perception after having radiation for skin cancer right by my eye. Now, with tinnitus, I can't hear an ambulance or police car coming. Maybe I should go back to hitchhiking?????? :)

Hubby does things way over my head!, ha, oh well, I understand the plant thing and he understands order management. He uses too many abbreviations for me to totally get what he does. As long as he is employed I will be happy. He keeps telling me that he is going to 'farm me out' if they cut him. He is 59 and they just transferred us, so they are happy with his work or they wouldn't have done that. Lots of people lost their jobs. I want a job where I don't have to stand on concrete all day long. My hips are shot after 30 years of that.
He only speaks english, interesting that you say that though. English is the language of business, us Americans are stubborn and don't think that we have to speak more than one language. The rest of the world knows that they have to speak English. I am fairly fluent in Spanish after working with a large Mexican population in some of the greenhouses where I have been.
I wish that some of the other wives would travel with their hubbies and I would go along on some of these trips. I just don't want to sitesee alone. We all know that they work 12 hour days when they are gone, so noone goes along.

Thought that I would bump this thread back in here since we are having a discussion about healthy cooking in "what's for dinner". I will tell you that you can make a dramatic difference in your blood test numbers if you do a little research. I know that on recipezaar.com there are a ton of healthy recipes nowadays. Lots of people are going gluten free now too.

Here is one to try...

Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
Recipe #164652 | 40 min | 10 min prep | add private note
| Edit...
My Notes:

My Notes
ONLY YOU see your private notes, and they print with the recipe.

Save NoteCancel

(26) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
Your review has been submitted for approval and will appear shortly.
By: misstasty
Apr 17, 2006

This soup is a little spicy, elegant enough for a dinner party, super cheap to make and very tasty... Don't be put off by the lentils - trust me you won't know they are there (and secretly they are so good for you).
SERVES 6 (change servings and units)

Change to: Servings US Metric
1 2 3 4 5 clear stars

Write a Review! (optional)

SubmitCancel
Ingredients
5 cups chicken stock or water
1 cup red lentil
3 medium onions
750 g sweet potatoes
5 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup coriander, chopped (or less to your taste)
1 lemon
salt and black pepper
Directions
1Peel and roughly chop the onions and sweet potatoes - can be chunky.
2Combine with the stock or water, lentils, garlic, cumin, cayenne and turmeric in a pot.
3Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until the potatoes and lentils are cooked - about 20-30 minutes.
4Puree the soup, adding in the coriander and the juice of the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper for me).

And another, I love steel cut oats topped with a little brown sugar and some frozen or fresh berries.

Heart Healthy Steel Cut Oatmeal (With Choice of Variations)
Recipe #282235 | 40 min | 5 min prep | add private note
| Edit...
My Notes:

My Notes

Save NoteCancel

(6) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe

By: DuChick
Jan 29, 2008

I have combined a few different methods of cooking this hearty grain and came up with my favorite way. I usually cook up a batch on the weekend and then scoop out a serving as I need it through the week. It reheats in the microwave perfectly! Listed below are some variations to the basic recipe...my favorite is pumpkin! These additions are not included in the nutrional analysis.
SERVES 4 -5 (change servings and units)

1 2 3 4 5 clear stars

YUMMO! I love the toasty flavor of this. I served it with a little brown sugar and some frozen red raspberries, and a little milk. Delish!
SubmitCancel
Ingredients
1 tablespoon light margarine
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups boiling water
1 cup skim milk
Directions
1In a large pan, melt the margarine and add the oatmeal.
2Stir the oatmeal into the margarine and toast it until it's golden brown, about 2 minutes.
3Add the boiling water and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fittig lid.
4Simmer for 25 minutes. Watch the mixture carefully and stir to prevent overflow and sticking to pan.
5After 25 minutes, add the milk to the oatmeal.
6Stir gently and cook on low for an additional 10 minutes.
7Scoop into a serving bowl and top with sweetener and milk, if desired.
8Variations to be added at same time as milk.
9(choose one):.
10*1/2 can pure pumpkin and 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
11*one chopped apple (with or without skins) and 1 teaspoons apple pie spice.
12*2 ripe, smashed bananas and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.
13*1 cup cranberries and 1 teaspoons cinnamon.

And another, I didn't put in the sherry though and added some Kale greens to boost up the vitamins.

Moosewood Mushroom Barley Soup!
Recipe #55694 | 2¼ hours | 10 min prep | add private note
| Edit...
My Notes:

My Notes

Save NoteCancel

(6) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe

By: Tish
Mar 5, 2003

I'm posting this in honor of one of my best friends mom's who first served this to me during high school...my second Jewish mother who always thought I should eat more. She used the Moosewood cookbook for many a fine dinner. Thanks Eileen!
SERVES 6 (change servings and units)

1 2 3 4 5 clear stars

SubmitCancel
Ingredients
1/2 cup pearl barley, raw
6 1/2 cups stock or water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
4 tablespoons dry sherry
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
fresh ground black pepper
Directions
1Cook barley in 1 1/2 cup of the stock or water until tender (cook it right in the soup kettle).
2Add remaining stock or water, tamari and sherry.
3Saute onions and garlic in butter.
4When they soften, add mushrooms and 1/2 tsp salt.
5When all is tender add to barley, being sure to include the liquid the vegetables expressed while cooking.
6Give it a generous grinding of black pepper and simmer 20 minutes, covered, over the lowest possible heat.
7Taste to correct seasoning.

I am going to make this one for dinner tonight...I have some leftover leeks from our bouillabaisse. I hate cooking for one, but I had best get used to it. Good thing is leftovers can go in the freezer in one portion servings.

Chickpea, Leek & Parmesan Soup Recipe #216736
Oh Jamie Oliver, we love you here in Toronto too, come visit us won't you? haha. This is a great soup, it has more of a stew consistency actually, just with yummy healthy chickpeas, leeks & cheese!
by kelly in TO
40 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 4
2 medium leeks
5/8 ounce butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
4 1/2 teaspoons thyme
14 1/8 ounces chickpeas, drained & rinsed
2 5/8 cups chicken stock
2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
salt & pepper
extra virgin olive oil
parmesan cheese, for garnish
1.Trim, separate and rinse leeks.
2.Slice the leeks into fine shreds and place into soup pot along with the butter, garlic & thyme, stir, cover and let slowly cook until the leeks become softened slightly.
3.Add the chickpeas to the leeks with the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil then simmer for about half and hour or until the potatoes are well cooked.
4.If the soup is to thick, thin it down with a little boiling water.
5.Break up the chickpeas & pieces of potato to thicken it slightly. Season the soup with salt and pepper
6.Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and drizzle on some olive oil.

These sound great! Some spices Ihave never used also. I learned the other day that hummus is made from chickpeas. We eat a lot of sweet potatoes.Thanks, Jade. ~ Curbie

Here is the recipe for Carrot soup that I like.

Carrot Leek soup

Ingredients

* 3 1/4 cups canned chicken broth, divided
* 3 cups sliced carrots
* 1 cup sliced leek
* 3/4-1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
* 1 dash red cayenne pepper
* minced fresh parsley (optional)

Directions

1 Combine 1 1/2 cups broth, carrots, leeks, and ginger in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 20 minutes or until the carrots are tender.

2 Remove from heat; pour vegetable mixture into the container of an electric blender or food processor. Process until smooth.

3 Return pureed mixture to saucepan; add remaining 1 1/2 cups broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Stir in red pepper.

4 To serve, ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with minced parsley and sour cream, if desired.

That sounds great! I have never used ginger nor cayenne pepper. Thank you. I keep printing these out :) ~ Curbie

Sunomono Salad Recipe #90955
A traditional cold Japanese noodle salad.
by dcollier
50 min | 20 min prep

SERVES 4
8 bunches bean thread noodles
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 cucumber, sliced thinly
2-3 spring onions
2 firm tomatoes, seeded and cut in wedges
12-14 cooked shelled shrimp
1 carrot, coarsely shredded
1.Put the noodles in boiling water and cook until tender.
2.Drain for 20-30 minutes.
3.Put in big bowl and add rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, salt and sesame seeds.
4.Top each portion of salad with a few slices of thinly cut cucumber and spring onions.
5.Add a few chunky pieces of seeded tomato, carrot and a few cooked shrimp on top.
6.Refrigerate.
7.Better the day after; makes more juice.

OK, now I need help ~ I bought grits today and I bought tumeric. I am really going astray...... WHO knows how to use tumeric? ~ Curbie

I am thinking this doesn't belong in the heart healthy thread, but here goes....

Paula Deen's Baked Garlic Cheese Grits
Recipe #216364 | 1 hour | 10 min prep | add private note
| Edit...
My Notes:

My Notes

Save NoteCancel

(7) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
By: Juenessa
Mar 11, 2007

From food network's Paula's Home Cooking Show.
SERVES 12 (change servings and units)

1 2 3 4 5 clear stars

SubmitCancel
Ingredients
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups regular grits
16 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 cup milk
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup unsalted butter
8 ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese
Directions
1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.
3Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan.
4Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined.
5Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.
6Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir. Gradually stir in the eggs and butter, stirring until all are combined.
7Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
8Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

THIS makes me laugh b/c Paula Deen must not eat the things she cooks. I adore her and wish she was my mother. I will try this b/c I didn't know you put chicken broth in grits. I AM the grit novice. I'll put in peas or spinach etc. (I really am dieing laughing here). When my husband says,"What's for dinner?" I can say..........I'm not very sure but I sure tried..... :)

I would love to move to Savannah and be best friends with Paula, ha. She giggles so cute when she adds all of that butter to her recipes. I do love Savannah too, but am more than sure that I can't afford to move there. I told hubby that if we have to move again I want to move to Savannah. All this because we had a trolley tour around town 2 years ago. I never knew that it was such a pretty and historic place.

I watch Paula quite often when I'm on the treadmill and I get an idea occasionally that I feel comfortable enough to use. But she sure does love her butter. I made the recipe she showed recently called "Monster Cookies". I ate one of them and gift plates and grandkids got all the rest of them.

I don't think baking cookies is a good idea unless you have grandkids around to help with them. I took tons of cookies to my grandbabies at christmas and there were very few left when I went home. It is nice to see them disappear with out having to make them on my own. lol

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back