The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Alex is about ~ well, I'm 4'11 and hubby is 5'8 and Big Al is about 6'4. I truly fit in Alex's armpit. We always laugh when he yells at me: MOM<<<< I can't believe you keep SHRINKING. He just got married and is a lovely lovely person. We are always pleased that he is within our family. He is the 'accident' that just happened to happen to us. ~ Curbie :)

Last edited:
He is pretty tall. Your husband looks taller than 5'8. One of my brothers is 6'4. My father was 6'2.My next to the youngest sister is 6'. I am the oldest and I am 5'4 1/2.

I used to be a little taller, but my wife and I are both settling. LOL But I'm still in pretty good shape. After all, pear is a shape.

Settling is a great way to describe it. When we moved in here 14 years ago, I was the clever person (no comments please) who said,"Put that hook THERE and put that OTHER hook THERE. I cannot reach any of them. I throw a towel up there and hope. I hope I can throw it right so I can hopefully get it down :) ~ Curb

Something you may think about Curbie, is a tool you can make up with a broom handle and a couple of hooks. I used to do a fair amount of radio tower work and I made up a tool using a couple of J-hooks from the harware store. I used a 10 foot piece of thin-wall conduit and attached the hooks so I could push with one and pull with the other. That thing cam in handy so many times when working on the top of a tower as it extended my ability to reach an additional 10 feet. Even though I don't do tower work any more, I still find lots of ways to use it. I lift my thistle feeders up into the trees with it for one thing. A broom handle is about 4 feet long and a couple of hooks on that would extend your reach a bit too. That tool enables me to do a lot of things without havinbg to set up a ladder.

Randy ~ Do you remember the thingie that they used when we were kids to get cans off the shelves? What will I do without my broom though :) ~ Seriously, I get the concept and SOMEone will make that for me..........this is going to go over like a lead balloon,"FOR my birthday, I would like a broom handle with hooks on it." OMGosh, this is so funny ~ "Mom, you cannot use it to get those plates down." But THIS is a great idea. Thank you kind sir ~ Curbie

Well, brooms wear out and when you replace a broom, cut off the handle of the old one. You can also buy a piece of wood dowel for a few bucks too, but I'm sort of cheap. I have one of those other thingies that you use to grab stuff, but it's always somewhere else when I need it. I keep one of those things with hooks on it in the bed of my pickup too and when I go to the recycle center, I use it to retrieve stuff that is out of reach. The guy at the recycle center asked me once if he could have it and I wouldn't give it to him.

I had a thingamagig that I was given in the hospital when I had my knee replacement that you use to reach things. I don't know the name but it came up missing. I bought one at Harbor Frieght but it was not quite as good as the other one. One of my three oldest grandsons tore it up. I need to buy another as I can turn the ceiling fans on and off and reach things on the high shelves without getting my stepstool out too Randy. Yesterday I had to get the stepstool to turn the fan down.

I'm going to root around and see what I have in my boxes down here in the basement, Marie. If I have a good drive and enclosure, I'll see if Miss Dorothy needs one for backing up her stuff.

That is so nice of you Randy but we already know that you are always looking out and caring for others. Thank you for thinking of me.

My husband just asked me how to spell maggiggled ~ oh that's simple. It just like hickeymajigger. I am so grateful that we all understand each other :) I have to realize that I am simply .....short......not short on attitude though :) (That was a fib---I'm trying to be tall but I can't) ~ Curbie

Well, Miss Dorothy, if I have one and it isn't being used, I can't think of a better place to send it than to Texas. Come to think of it, that's where Marie lives.

Thanks again Randy. Yes Marie does live in Texas in the Victoria area. I got to meet her last year at the Quilt Show. She is a wonderful lady.

Have you ever made a quilt? I would like to make a quilt out of postcards or photographs ~ would that work? WAIT ~ a quilt out of stuffed animals. OMgoodness ~ I have the best ideas ~ a quilt made out of stuffed animals for a kidlette. ~ Curbie !

That would be a very "thick" quilt Ms Curbie!! I guess you could take the stuffings out and sew each animal on to a quilt square.....
As for postcards..I have no idea.

My mother took the pictures of her first great-grandson and pieced quilt squares using his kindergarten art as a guide.

Now see ~ WE are quite a team ! Hey, I have to tell you ~ this is so much fun. We have this DogPatch outside our house b/c we llive beside this gas pipeline. I put out water and I have put out lawnchairs and it began with 2 (myself and one other person) and now it is 73. THIS MORNING was our First Annual DogPatch Christmas party at a friends house. Yes, we took the dog but they were NOT allowed in the house. Our dog sat on the screened in porch and pouted. I took fresh cut up fruit and there was enough food and laughter to keep us going forever. The first thing I did was walk into their garage and HUBBY closed the door on me. The hostess said,"Carol.....are you in here b/c Mike told us you are." DIANE! YOUR garage is a mess and I<<<< can't find THE LIGHT!" She shut the door :) It was from 9->12 and I had said to hubby,"We're staying a half hour." So I am in the dark garage for 10 minutes so that didn't count! Then this guy said,"OH LOOK! SOMEONE let her out of the closet!" It was the garage! There were about 40 folks and 12 dogs there and a good time was had by all. ~ I had a great time :) ,even in the garage. ~ Curbie

OK Curbie snce you have your heart set on a quilt made OUT of something make one out of mens silk neckties. Those quilts are gorgeous

My husband just asked me how to spell maggiggled ~ oh that's simple. It just like hickeymajigger. I am so grateful that we all understand each other :) I have to realize that I am simply .....short......not short on attitude though :) (That was a fib---I'm trying to be tall but I can't) ~ Curbie

Curbie I used to be tall when I was around my grandma, mom and aunties. But they are all gone now and I am short. My girls and granddaughters are taller than I am except Sherri she is 5 foot 2 inches.

Say, Miss Curbie, how many Christmas cards are you going to send me this year? LOL BTW, I am carrying those cards in my wallet (2 at a time) and I gave both of them away this morning. We have an acquaintence that is a WW2 vet and was a POW in Germany for almost a year. He was a co-pilot in a B-17 bomber when it was shot down over Germany. I set his Christmas card aside and I told MF to be sure and put one of those cards in the envelope. Corbin was honored at the National July 4th celebration a couple of years back. He is quite a guy. He doesn't live far from us and we have shared meals with him several times.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back