The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Nope! I was out to the gun club swapping lies with some of the guys. Thursday is kids night and they are learning marksmanship and safe handling.

Question and Answer Time ~ Does everyone get the same comics in their newspapers? For example: Pickles in todays paper is about the gentleman going in the express lane, his bill was 19.51 so he began to tell her about General MacArthur and the Korean War. Do we all get the same comics? ~ Curbster

We no longer take the paper other than our little local paper, but when we took the Portland paper the syndicated comics would have been the same in every paper that had that particular strip, but each newspaper can subscribe to any of the strips they want to include. I got irritated at the Portland paper when they dropped a bunch of the comics I liked and put in others that I didn't. That wasn't the reason I dropped my subscription after 40 years, but it didn't help.

Gun club ~ hm......like the ones that shoot pingpong balls :) ~ squirt guns :) ~ Curbie

I missed going out to the gun club last evening. Dinner was a bit late so I decided to just stay home. The gun club has ranges where we shoot real guns. I like to shoot pistols, but I am more interested in taking the grandkids out and teaching them safe gun handling. They are anxious to do that. They have really enjoyed shooting BB guns in the back yard. I handload most of my own ammunition and have done so for over 50 years. I will be using a .22 rifle with the kids though and that is factory made ammunition. We use paper targets on the range.

I need to target practice, i shot at a woodchuck 6 times last night, i hit him twice as he flew in the air but then he walked across my driveway and i lost him when i ran upstairs to get the gun, saw one this am so guess i didn't hit him too bad, darn things are eating stuff in the yard along with the deer
told my mom i was going to set up some targets by her pond and practice shooting my dad's 22...

I saw a gun at the store a few weeks back that I would like to have, but I don't need another gun. That one came with three barrels. It was a single shot gun, but you could switch barrels and make it a 20 gauge shotgun, a .22 rifle, or a .243 rifle.

Having been married to a cop, it was a pre-marital requirement that I learn to shoot a gun. I liked his service revolver. But, if there was in intruder in our home, I'd say,"HEY! You want snacks???" I was standing in the kitchen with the deck door open and this squirrel ran RIGHT INTO THE kitchen and banged into my leg. I thought,"Maybe it likes me....singing???? Michael Jackson????" It ran back out and is still hanging around. We are now talking to squirrels,"now you look....." I wonder if it thinks I'm more nuts than it is. :)
~ Curbie

I talk to the chickens all the time and they are less intelligent that a squirrel. Those rotten chickens though think they are entitled to a snack every time I step outside the back door.

I talk to chickens and squirrels! Also birds,plants,anything that stands still long enough! Today I thanked a lady bug for eating aphids off my roses.

When the chipmunk popped out of the ktichen cabinet today I was yelling,"NO, YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY! THERE'S A CAT THERE!" It decided to stay in my shoe so I put my shoe outside. It is hopefully at it's home. I feel liberated that I know the squirrel (and chipmunk ) are more nuts than us :) but we're all in the same boat...... ~ Curbie

Fiona and David are off on their anniversary weekend now. They left this afternoon. That means I get to do the barn chores. That rotten horse gets a stubborn streak once in awhile and I was walking out in the pasture to try and intimidate him. On the way, I saw what I thought was a ground squirrel about 40 yards away. It didn't move like a ground squirrel though and the ears were too long. It was a bunny. We don't have many of those little guys/gals around and naturally they are cute. I hope one of the cats don't get it. I went back to the barn and got a can with some grain in it. There is nothing wrong with the horse's hearing, so he finally decided to come in and I didn't have to wade the creek to go after him. I still have to go out in about another hour and get the goats in and close the chicken coop. I caught a skunk last night in the trap I keep right outside the chicken pen. Apparently I caught the skunk before it had a chance to kill any chickens.

Good job, Randy! Protector of chickens award to you.
I protected mine from an adolescent bear last week. He got the eggs but no poultry. He looked surprised when I yelled at him to "git".

Good for you! i THINK i WOULD LIKE TO HAVE some artilery with me if I tried to scare a bear. I did count the chickens today and they are all there.

Now counting chickens really makes me laugh~ OMGosh, I have the giggles AND the hiccups~ "If Y'ALL don't stand still I'm going to feed you to the bear!" I would be wandering along putting sticky notes on their heads that say,"COUNTED!" Hey, yesterday while at my sister-in-laws, I looked out the window and there was this BIG rabbit. About 2 hours later, I was still facing the window and.......there was a fox! She lives about 1/2 mile from our beltway! What do foxes eat? I hope it's not rabbits b/c the would have NEVER won against that rabbit! ~ Curbie

Foxes usually prey on smaller game, but will take on rabbits. We have foxes here, but the coyotes are substantially larger and a rabbit is no match for them.

I thought foxes ate.....mice or something like that. I have to say that rabbit was equal in size with the fox last night. Now we had to go back today and I was sitting out on her front porch and a bird landed on my baseball cap. She got the giggles and said,"You have a bird on your head ~ you have chipmunks pop out of your kitchen cabinets and run up inside your jeans ~ you rescue mice from your cats and put them back outside ~ You will chase a fly around the kitchen to get it to go back outside. WHAT is WITH YOU, MRS. DOOLITTLE?" I can't kill a spider. "I KNOW what's wrong with me! I am keeping the food chain alive :) ~ Curbie

Foxes do eat mice and other small animals. Our rabbits here in western Oregon are quite small. On the other side of the Cascade Mountains there are jackrabbits and they are probably equal in weight to a fox.

We were at Lake Powell , Arizona and right outside our motel room, came this (really b/c we were sitting on the little patio) a HERD of jack rabbits. If someone would walk by, they would run back down the hill. So of course, I am cheering for the jack rabbits. Mike said,"YOU MAY NOT FEED them!" We were in the desert and I said,"STOP the CAR!" He did ~ there were 2 donkeys walking across the Arizona desert. MTMailman said,"We stopped to look at donkeys????" :) yep ~ Have YOU ever seen a donkey in the desert before? Mike="DON'T FEED THEM!" Curbie

I'd stop too! That must have been quite a sight.
We have jackrabbits here. They are about the size of a beagle. The ears are humongous!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back