The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

They have alot of donkey's near Vegas. We stop and take pics of em when we are down that way
Kinda like taking pics of the "stangs" around here

I closed the chicken pen last night at 9:00 and I stepped inside and opened the chicken house to make sure all seven were there. I was going to put them in a little earlier, but they were still congregating around the gate apparently exchanging stories before they went inside.

OK ~ tell me what chickens speak about......"Well, let you tell me how MY DAY went....." "DO YOU know what this guy asked ME TO DO?" "Has anybody seen the...." "YOU should stop interrupting!" ~ I have the hiccups. ~ Curbie

I am lost in the nuances of their language, but I can figure out when they are alarmed of proud of just laying an egg. Oh, and I can tell when one of them a bit higher in the pecking order tells another subservient to get out of the way.

I caught another skunk last night. I am pretty sure I got him before he tried to get in the pen.

Curbie, I did a search on "Tattoo" and it is a ceremony and rather lengthy at that. But as I mentioned, it is also the bugle call that is used when the flag is lowered at sunset.

I need a bugle ! Growing up in Pittsburgh, our neighobr boy played the trumpet. He went into the Army. When he left, he went to New Orleans to teach music. He is so gifted. ♫ ~ Curbie

I can imagine the expression on MTM's face if you showed up with a bugle. You might want to break him in gently by starting with a kazoo.

KAZOO????? We play toilet paper rolls. "YOU'RE the base and I'm the tenor." MTM said,"DO you know how STUPID WE LOOK?" well...i know how stupid YOU look but I am sheer perfection. NOW PLAY THE TOILET paper roll! guess wot.... ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫.....the piano was delivered today ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ "May we PLEASE stop playing toilet paper rolls now?" NO! because Randy said 'I need' a bugle and we can start a band. MIKE! WOT are you THINKING? Randy spoke about pickles and then.......are you getting a bugle? Mike truly should be in the hall of "I can't believe I married someone from Pittsburgh"......Curbie

I would like to say something about something. The school system I worked for, for 30 years ( I stayed at the same school) is firing teachers and other employees(bus drivers, custodiands, lunchroom ladies). Now see, WHAT is more important than the education of our children? fell off my soap box......roar ~ :) Curbster

oh, I apologize if I offended anyone. Teaching is such a paaion of mine and those of us who enter that occupation usually feel the same way ~ forever. I am sorry ~ Curbie

I did something very nice today ~ 5 times so far :) Oh, gosh....here's my thought.....folks should dwell on what they have done RIGHT in a day instead of what they didn't get right. Positive attitude! I still can't get the chipmunk out of the basement but I yelled,"YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!" when it flung itself down the steps. Wonder if chipmunks know English? How big is a chipmunk brain? ~ ~ ~ Curbie

I don't think you offended anyone, Miss Curbie. By the way, national treasure? That's quite a compliment. I was thinking about that today while I was out working in the garden. It's interesting when you know what is actually written into the law of the land regarding amateur radio operators. The purpose of the radio service is quite explicit although there is a lot of fun that goes along with it. I don't know if I can remember all the law states, but I can give a pretty good idea. One of the purposes for an amateur radio service is to provide a pool a radio operators that can be called upon in the case of a national emergency. There are thousands of hams that are trained in emergency communications and have their stations set up with emergency power capability so they can still communicate without power from the utility companies. There is an annual exercise the last weekend of June where radio clubs and individuals set up radio stations in remote areas and operate them for 24 straight hours. Many times when things like hurricane Katrina knocked out power and telephone lines, hams were able to still maintain emergency communications. Another of the stated purposes is to foster international goodwill through communication with hams of other countries. Another stated purpose is to foster an arena of experimentation and development of advances in the communication art. I think I have left out one or two of the purposes, but you get the idea I'm sure.

Randy--about 30 years ago :)eek:) (before there was email) there was a "craze" going round----everyone had a ham radio in thier home. Usually just a "cb radio"--but some really got into it. We could talk to all kinds of people--depending on how long a range your antenna had. Lots of times(certain times of the day) we could get "skip"---which means you could hear & possibly talk to poeple all over the world. It was really fun! Everyone had their own "call sign".

Those are still around, but not nearly as popular as they were back then. There were laws that governed CB radio, but no one paid any attention to them. Amateur radio is different in the respect that the rules are pretty strictly enforced. Protocols are followed or you will catch it from your fellow hams. A license was required for CD radio in the beginning, but that too was ignored after a time. Occasionally someone will come on the ham bands that is unlicensed and it only takes a few minutes to realize the person is what we call a "Bootlegger". They don't know the operating procedure that we learn during the licensing procedure. I started with CB radio and still have a couple of them, but I moved on into ham radio when I heard of a class offered by the local college. Later, that was the same class that I taught for 6 years.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back