My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

These plants ('cept for 1) are awesome. Now, I just rip the dead leaves of the new one. Is that a bad idea? Thanks,Trax. ~ :)

Def cut those old leaves off. :) If you give it some plant food it should get better and start growing again. I cut the bad leaves off of mine and it's doing tons better now! :D

Actually, I took off the old leaves (I don't have plant food b/c I only feed humans) and it REALLY, as of this morning is looking great. I think re-potting it has made a difference also. It was potbound so I think it's learning how to stretch its wings (oh, those are roots.) ~ Thanks again Trax. I still can't believe I have these stupid plants.....I ordered TOMATOES! And now people are giving them banana trees to me. :) BananaMomma

Guess what ~ I have 2 new leaves on the latest banana tree. I wish I knew what kind it is. It is REALLY tall in comparison to the Cavendish. Curbie

Go Curbie Go. Have you decided what you are going to do with them this winter? inquiring minds want to know :D

That is my own question, CG. WHAT AM I gonig to do about these silly banana plants in the winter. Now that we have SO much rain, I'll see if MTM gets home early enough to plop them in the ground....any suggestions? TRAX<<<< :) ~ Curbie

Oh Kya ~ you really make me laugh! We live in a t/h so I guess, you are correct! 4 cats and a dog and all these banana trees! "Hey, YOU can't SLEEP there any more b/c you have a banana tree. Nope, can't sleep over there EITHER b/c you have a banana tree. That's not going to work over there either......I don't CARE if you can't get out of the dogdoor! Boink, right into a banana tree in the kitchen~ told you dummy" :)

LOL! You can sleep in the banana trees! :D
Well, winter will be more frustrating than summer was. They'll grow veeery slow and some of the leaves might die before spring. They won't look very healthy but at least they'll survive! :)

How to grow bananas in the winter:
1. If they're not in pots, dig them up and pot them. You'll have to dig almost 2 feet down and a foot away from the stem to get enough roots.

2. Bring them inside where it's 65-90 degrees. They won't need very much light in the winter.

3. Do Not Water Them! Do Not Feed Them! That's veeeery important. You can give them 1 cup of water once a month if they look really bad. If they don't then no water.

4. If the leaves start looking yellow you might have spider mites. Put a bar of ivory soap in warm water and leave it all night. Then add 2 tablespoons of canola oil and enough water to make about 2 quarts. Put that in a spray bottle and spray the whole plant, even under the leaves.

5. Keep me posted about how they're doing. :)

Good luck! :D

It's amazing how large the trees have gotten. I have this HUGE coleus. I got it at K-Mart! It was not this big but now it's 3 feet tall and I want to try to save it over the winter. She has purple leaves with a red vein in the middle and fringy leaves. oh. this is about bananas......I'm always on the wrong thread. Where's Mindy when I need her? :)

Thanks, Trax. NOW, do I want a spider mites in my home? I do not own a spray bottle. I am REALLY low maintenance!:)

This is funny b/c Saturday night one of MTM's friends came over to have dinner. I said," YOU need a banana TREE!" He said,"I AM from FLORIDA!" So I went and got him the pot. It's one with threeof my Cavendish. He got so excited about crabbing the next day, he left the banana plant here.......I buy a tomato plant and get a banana tree. I order a tomato plant again....and I get another banana tree.... I can't even GIVE them away! :)

Mine are still in pots so ...... our rain has been hard on these banana trees but at least they are in the shade b/c....it's still raining! All we need is a blizzard and Christmas tree :)

It's amazing how large the trees have gotten. I have this HUGE coleus. I got it at K-Mart! It was not this big but now it's 3 feet tall and I want to try to save it over the winter. She has purple leaves with a red vein in the middle and fringy leaves. oh. this is about bananas......I'm always on the wrong thread. Where's Mindy when I need her? :)

I just read this reply i know its kinda old. Curbie did you know that coleus has a lot of medicinal properties? Then I forgot what exactly the uses are! I'll update you on this.

you can use the leaves as poultice to cuts. crush the leaves and apply it on top of the wound. other than this...i need to review hehe.

Do you think the coleus can fix my broken toes? :) I don't know what 'poultice' is. Maybe I can just put my foot in the plant and hope! I'm a good 'Hope-r-er'. Can you gather the tops for seeds? I'd like to bring the coleus in the house for the winter. Think that would work? I SO adore this plant. She is lovely and I don't want her to die. SHe is a great hearty plant as well is the hydrangea I put in with her. They are in a barrel that has wheel on it (Don't talk about clever." I got these things at Home Depot and MTM said,"YOU are NEVER GOING TO use them!" oh be quiet! :) Curbs

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back