My banana project

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Do you think the coleus can fix my broken toes? :) I don't know what 'poultice' is. Maybe I can just put my foot in the plant and hope! I'm a good 'Hope-r-er'. Can you gather the tops for seeds? I'd like to bring the coleus in the house for the winter. Think that would work? I SO adore this plant. She is lovely and I don't want her to die. SHe is a great hearty plant as well is the hydrangea I put in with her. They are in a barrel that has wheel on it (Don't talk about clever." I got these things at Home Depot and MTM said,"YOU are NEVER GOING TO use them!" oh be quiet! :) Curbs

Hello! Forget about the word "poultice". just remember these steps... get some 2-3 young coleus leaves and pound them with a pestle or whatever you can use to crush em'. Then put it on top of your wound. What happened to your toes??

I usually just get stem cuttings from my coleus, water them just enough and they are not hard to grow once they are established. Of course you can put them inside in wintertime. :)

Well, my toes are broken. So I pick the leaves from the bottom, right? Do I soak the leaves before I use them? HG, I am a 100% true clutz, I was bating a trot line and walked RIGHT into the door frame. Something came out of my mouth unrepeatable. My husband yelled"YOU are SO darn CLUMSY." I broke my foot in first grade going up a curb. I broke it in third grade falling off a curb. I broke it in 5th grade and THEN I broke it in 7th grade and then :) I broke it in 11th grade. Mom and I knew everybody in the ER. Mom would always say,"IF YOU do this again..." Then I broke my ankle~BOY does that hurt! The doctors keep trying to put my feet together with pins and screws and rods. My Mom used to say,"YOU are an accident waiting to happen." Well, so far so good :)

Dawn, did you notice that Curbie only breaks her toes on odd years:eek:....she recovers on the even years;)!
Guess she had a break in her 9th!:D

I did NOT break my 'feets' in 9th grade, Kya :) That was our year off. Mom said,"Great! NO broken glasses this year and NO BROKEN FEET!" NEVER argue with Mom. :)You should have seen me walking to class. "Don't touch my feet. I get a year off for good behavior. IF YOU tramp on MY FOOT! NO GET OFF THE BUS! My MOM is going to yell at me b/c I fell off the bus!GO!" To this day, I hold onto every railing/banister around. So now at 61 (odd year) I have 3 broken toes. My reputation continues. :) When somebody says ,"YOU can't do that!" ohhhhhh, watch me :) The oddest thing is it's always been on my right foot/leg. AND you are absolutely correct ~ odd #'ed years. :)

You know Mom was left handed and to this day, I can not figure out which hand I am. It really doesn't matter to me b/c I can be equally clumsy in either direction.:) Multitasking I guess :) "HEY! DO you want to see me fall with THIS foot or with the other foot? It's up to you!" What is a "left brain thingy"? :)

If you are right handed you use the left side of your brain.
If you are left handed then you use the right side.
If you are ambidextrous you use both!
Are you confused yet?

Maybe you have hyperactive toes? haha. I frequently hit my toes on the foot rest! Does that make me one too?? And Damn it hurts!

I would prefer nipping off the tips of your coleus for you are actually doing them a favor and you..too.

Cutting off the tips help the plant to be bushy while at the same time, you...will benefit from the healing juices of the young leaves.. I would say, just wash them with tap water before you crush them and place them on your toes.. :)

Are we talking about bananas or banana brains? Since Mom was left handed and Dad was right handed I am abidextrious. MTM says things like,"YOU are leaning to the LEFT so I know who you're talking to. " "NOW you're leaning to the right." It's not easy to do ~ I argue with one side of my head and THEN I get to argue with the other side :) I DO know we're all ADHD. The nicest thing about us is..... we don't mind b/c we're always 'busy' and don't pay attention. Doesn't get much better than that! WHO would you like to argue with today? oh, the one on the left for half hour ~ then I'll change. Ambidextrious. It's rather an 'odd' situation. The 'rocks in your head' fall one way and then they shift towards the other side. I know I have 2 'brains' or none at all. :)

Wow!!! Its Beautiful dude.... :D
Ummm.... May I get a banana when it become yellow. :p

All bananas = free! :D Btw, welcome to the forum! Sorry I'm late but I'm always late, lol!

Congrats about the new leaves Curbz! :) My Ice Cream banana plants = history but my dwarf Cavendish is still alive!! :D It got sick, fell off a six foot shelf, got sick again and now it's healthy again! I've def decided this plant can't die so I'll be growing it indoors this winter. Here's a pic I took yesterday. The leaves got a little fried but they're healing. :)
Anyway, I decided I'm gonna get more banana plants too!

Curbz needs to post some more pics of her bananas... :D

6242477249_07d1af134c_z.jpg

It's been 2 weeks since I put my dwarf Cavendish banana plant in the window to get sunlight. The first week it made a new leaf. The second week it made another new leaf! It's getting well and growing fast! I could even get more excited if it looked like Maria Brink but... :D

6295979806_79b6f7c53a_z.jpg

Banana experiment 2 by Trax, on Flickr

Banana experiment 3 by Trax, on Flickr

Who is Maria Brink? I must tell you ~ b/c we had snow I moved my bananas in. I have moved them all over the house. I have 4 new leaves so leaving them alone. :) Curbz

Who is Maria Brink? I must tell you ~ b/c we had snow I moved my bananas in. I have moved them all over the house. I have 4 new leaves so leaving them alone. :) Curbz

Awesome about the 4 new leaves! :) Def keep the banana plants inside now and don't give them very much water... maybe spray them with water once a month.
This is Maria Brink!! :D She's the lead singer of one of my fave bands!

fan photo by Trax, on Flickr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwTv45OW5Yw

I love her tatoos. I am too afraid too ever get one..... My daughter has 4 and one day she was sitting here in the kitchen eating frozen peas while this guy did this. I can't believe I hand fed my daughter peas. She has this HUGE Celtic thing on her back and 3 others. I felt like a Momma Bird feeding the chiplette. I finally said to this guy,"IT is TIME for you to LEAVE!" My daughter said,"MOM! HE CAN'T LEAVE!" no, he's gone... b/c I ran out of peas. :)

Hey everyone's bananas are looking great, really healthy. Mine has put on two more leaves but I'll have to keep an eye on it as the passionfruit vine has gone crazy and may smother it if I'm not careful.

I always wonder about passion fruit. I know not a darn thing about it. So it's a vine. One of my teens was here the other day and he said,"MOM! WE have to find JUST the right spot for this banana tree!" It really was funny b/c this guy at the post office gave MTM this so the tree is named,"George". I said,"YOU canNOT hurt George!" Now this teen lives in a house that faces exactly opposite ours so he said," Sunlight ~ has to have sunlight." He maticulously went through our first floor and put George....where he thought was good ~ and it is. :) Curbie

I have to learn how to water these banana trees. They are REALLY growing! I don't have a spray bottle so what else can I use? PLEASE don't say a HOSE! :) Curbz

Don't give it very much water. :eek: It's cold now and it will go dormant and get stem or corm rot if you do. You can give it maybe half a cup of water every month but no more. :)
Btw, I was noticing what has the tats more than the tats, lol. :D
I'd get a tat but I scream and run when I see needles...

Thanks Wombat! :D Last summer really ****ed for growing banana plants but they're growing good now. I might get another one before spring.

Anyway, grab a camera and show your bananas guyz! Hmmmm.... that sounded way wrong, lol! :D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back