The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I have a couple of generators. I am the only one here though that knows how to hook them up. But that's okay as long as I am here. If an appliance has a plug on it, then there is no problem. But to make our well work, I will have to tie into our electric panel and make sure our main breaker is off so we don't feed any power back on to the grid. That can be deadly to some lineman trying to get power back on the grid.

Peggy
Been thinking of all my friends in the Kentucky area and have been praying that you all are ok. Glad you got a generator so you can have some lights and get online to let us know. keeping you and all the ones without power in my prayers.

I am so thrilled you were able to get on and post peggy...stay warm and get back when you can...so glad to read you are OK...hugs

I'm cold, but it's just me. The furnace is right behind me here in the basement and it's running right along. I was out this morning and went to church, and that's when my hands and feet got so cold. I don't expect to go out again today though.

It is really nice to check in...everybody is staying warm ...the fireplace with the blower on it kept it almost too warm today... then I have the kerosene heater with a pot of water on top of it in the sun room... All my plants are flourishing..hibiscus, lantana, jasmine are in bloom...

I baked potatoes for us all in the grill for lunch and then I used the turkery fryer and fried us fried chicken and made a salad and jug of tea... I was thankful for all the meat we got off the truck sales here in the past months...

The weather warmed up today and melted quite a lot of ice off the trees... We all took turns cutting up limbs and gathering them up...Cliff called all the wood manna from heaven...

This afternoon a bunch of us went around and checked on our neighbors to make sure they were doing ok...fed a few and left water with several...we ended up with another family who needed a place to stay warm...
Their have been many states to come to our assistance and we are all so very thankful... We have so much to be grateful for and God has blessed us with so much... if feels good to be able to share our many blessings...
There was no mass at church today but we did have our time to thank our Master for everything...
I thank you all for your thoughts...with all the help that has arrved they say we may have power sooner than they thought...

Mr Randy stay warm and healthy...their is a lot of folks depending on you...

My lil buddy isn't feeling too swift this afternoon...gave him thera-flu and put him to rest...he is minding right now but he is mighty hard headed...guess that makes two of us...we make a really good team..

Hope you all have a wonderful week... Take care and stay warm.

Peggy

Peggy so glad to hear you are coping with the terrible weather you are having. And how wonderful that you and your family can help so many. Isn't it wonderful that when things get out of controle how people come together. I do hope they do get your power on sooner then they were predicting. Keep your sweety warm and make him take the meds to ward off getting sick -- you don't need that durning this ruff time. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted and up dated. We are all worried for you.

Shoulda known that was why you didn't answer your phone last week, Peggy. Duh! But I also didn't worry too much about you cuz I know you are a tuff one!!!

Wishing Cliff well.

Peggy glad you are doing as well as you can be. Bet those baked potatoes were yummy. Keep us updated on how things are going because we care.

On the way in to work this morning...noticing that sunrise is becoming more apparent earlier...my mind danced thru garden catalogs...SPRING. It will come.

LOL Shiney girl...camping out in the house isn't quite as much fun as roughing it camping out in the woods. This journey has been quite interesting.
We did get phone service back Saturday and the lil town of Beech Grove about 7 mile from here did get electrical service back yesterday so we are hopeful we may get ours back soon also... Its 21° here this am and really windy...snow flurries..no accumulation expected... I hear it is to get up to mid 50s by Friday... That is music to my ears..

LOL Dale the baked potatoes were good... I rubbed them with butter and sea salt before I baked them... Yummy!

There has been from 12-25 people here for each meal...but I have lots of help and everyone seems to be thoughtful and respectful of each other..That is a good thing... We didn't know a single one of these folks before this except maybe in passing and a quick hello. Friends are folks ya haven't met yet.
Every corner I look in has sleeping bags, pillows, toys, blankets, duffle bags.. I think I will be into Spring cleaning when this lil situation gets resolved.
Swindy it is wonderful to see everyone reach out and come together and get on the same page..

Be back later...thanks for letting me air and being here... Feels good...
Peggy

Peggy I am so glad you got power back. Keep us updated on the progress of the clean up for your area.

Yeah...what Randy said!! And real glad your power came back on. How used to that stuff we get!

Areas all around me got 10-12 inches of snow last night (as close as 5 miles!). I got maybe 2!! Never had such a discrepancy happen before and don't understand it it, but...GOOD! If it gets to 50 this weekend like predicted we will have quite a sloppy mess. Too bad it can't be saved for later in summer when we may need it.

Peggy I am so glad you got your power back. This always makes me think of how people lived before we had electricity and heating systems in the homes.

Randy and Shiney... Cliff and I thank you but we just seen that these folks just had basic needs and it was the least we could do and grateful that we could help and do a small part.

Swindy the topic of conversation we had most was about how folks before us did without electric and heating systems...back then homes were smaller and it was just a way of life... I rather enjoyed ours being out...makes one think of all the things one takes for granted.. At night after the lil ones were sleep we played Monoply, Yahtzee, and cards.

I have never seen ice like that accumulate so quickly. The freezing rain was pouring down...then the snow flakes came and they were huge...then the freezing rain...it sure kept taking turns... Electric lines and poles were across the roads everywhere...we had one way out from here...

I am ready for the weekend weather of mid 50s into Tuesday...maybe we can get the outside picked up a little more...we sure have a mess...and yea I know it will be a muddy mess...

It's 12° this am but the sun is shining so brightly...as long as I can see the sun ...it lifts my spirits..

Well I'm off to do something productive....everyone have a good day...
Peggy

My grandkids used to really think it was neat to lose power like that. But now that the girls are in college, I doubt they would have the same opinion. When they are home now, they have their laptop computers on communicating with their friends, sort of like we are doing right now. LOL But you are right about the talking. With no power, you can get in a lot of good conversation. Those few days you have had back there with your neighbors will build great relationships. I would probably cheat a little bit as far as cooking though. I would set up one of the camp stoves on the kitchen counter.

I don't mind loosing poawer but not for more than 24 hrs. I worry about the freezer. The last time it was 3 days when a major transformer at the station blew. We lost our freezer to that one but it was under warrenty so no cost.

Peggy glad you are back in the 21 century!

I think we could go three days without any consequence to the freezers during the winter, but not so sure about summertime. I still have one generator to fix, but it is just a spare at this point. It either needs a new carburetor of fix the carburetor that is on it. The fuel pickup tube has broken off. It's over 30 years old, so I may not be able to get a part.

Peggy
Ditto to what Randy said. You and Cliff are such wonderful people. You might not think you did much but I'm sure to the people that you helped you did alot and are a hero to them
Glad you got the power back and praying everyone else gets theirs back soon
I remember going to bed at my grandmothers and they heated up bricks to put in the bed as it was so cold upstairs and the only heat was a coal stove in the living room and running to the outhouse as a kid at my great grandmothers house. I remember my grandparents having a pump in the kitchen sink for water when I was little. Our neighbors didn't have running water in their house until I was in high school. They did have a pump in the kitchen but no bathrooms and there was 6 kids

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back