The Bluegrass Bunch

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

One thing you never had to worry about with an outhouse. No one would ever keep it occupied while reading for very long.

Peggy, happy to hear that the power is up and running again. I think my two nephews and one neice in Lexington, Murrey, and Berea are all back home now. One of the brothers went in with the sister and got a motel, and the other brother sent his wife and daughter to my sister in TN and stayed home with their dogs. Just got an email from my sister yesterday telling me other than limbs down etc, they are all fine. Happy to hear that you had some fine company during the storm. Sure makes the time pass faster when folks are thankful.

When I was a wee one and the power went out at home I always slept in front of the fireplace on the floor......I associate that memory with shucking popcorn and popping it over the fireplace. It is still a favorite and I kept it popped to snack on around here with everyone here...

Randy we had lots of sharing, laughter, and good conversation. It was a real pleasure getting to know them a little... We made some good friends.

Cabbergirl I am glad to be living in this century again... I sure missed my bubble bath with the jets turned on... Finally got to do that today...first day without company...
We were fortunate to not lose anything but the temps were in the low 20's-single digits most all the time and I didn't have any heat on in my shop where the freezers are at...

Laurie ya took me back in time...When I would go to my uncles we would take a bath in large, long metal tub...and use the out house..etc.

Froglady Hello there...Glad you family is all back in safe and sound...
There are still so many folks without power...
My lil brother and both of my boys still are without power...
He is coming over tomorrow and do laundry.

I have truely appreciated the quiet today...I didn't realize how much I have missed it..

Shiney, Nat where are you all...

Have a good evening,
Peggy

PL, I am about halfway through a four volume set of books written by Theodore Roosevelt. Much of what I have read thus far has been about the settling of Kentucky. Your opening of your home and welcoming in the neighbors is much like those old days when they came together for mutual protection. The books are very interesting and loaded with good information. Oh, and it would make you cry to know what good land sold for back in those days. It was just pennies and acre.

I'm here, Peg...just scrambling ti catch up on some things. I think I'm going snowmobiling again in a coupla weeks...gotta get stuff done ahead, too.

It's supposed to get in the 50's tomorrow...looking forward to chipping the last of my ice off the sidewalk and drive. Sun never hits it long enough to help!

I've been quilting a lot...lots of babies. Here's a pic of a simple quilt I made (long overdue..."babe" is 3 years old!!)

Attachments

• quilt 002.jpg
    quilt 002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 248
  • quilt 003.jpg
    quilt 003.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 255
Deb....Years ago I use to quilt with a friend and I really enjoyed it....now however my neck has a rough time staying down long enough at any one time...I admire any one that can do this ...thanks for sharing them

shinekeeper your quilt is beautiful, I have a girlfriend that use to quilt she would make beautiful conforters for all her friends as wedding presents, I kept asking her to make one for me and she always told me I would have to get married to get --needless to say I never got one .

she always told me I would have to get married to get --needless to say I never got one .

No comforter...but not so many headaches either, maybe a fair trade?!!! Just joking.

Thanks for the compliments. My enthusiasm has rubbed off on my CabinGirls...we had a quilting "bee" last weekend! Think they are coming back tomorrow for more!! My grandmother put a needle in my hand when I was about 4 and it's been there ever since. Both grandmas, actually. It's a dying hobby it seems...if you go by the fabric stores going out of business around me.

I have always made tacked quilts for every baby born. They seem to like to play with the tied threads that secure the layers. Conner's quilt got a spattering of "star" quilting because I felt guilty not making it for him when I should have!!

It's not my neck that gets me, Debe...it's the way I "curl" myself crooked in the chair while I sew...my right hip KILLS me!! And my left thumb!! Can't be old age creeping up...just can't be:p

Last edited:
Morning all
Pleased to see everyone's doing ok in the cold winter you've all had. Peggy we saw on the news here how rough the weather has been for you, so glad you're doing ok. Shiney that's a great quilt you made there congratulations kiddo, beautiful job. Marie, great to see you again young lady:) Not too much happening here just tidying up the last of the summer crops and getting my beds ready for the winter flowers and veggies. We've had a little rain and my water tank is now full so now it's seed raising time. I'm trying to squeeze in another crop of beans, tomatoes, eggplants and chillies before it gets too cool. It's been very hot in parts of Aus. lately with temps as high as 115F fortunately I've been spared that searing heat but my mum hasn't she's right in the middle of it all and won't buy an a/c unit, reckons she doesn't need one!:rolleyes: I'm going to go out and buy her a portable a/c unit that can be moved from room to room, then she'll have to use it, lol. That's about it from here for now stay well and warm folks, till next time......:)

Wow ... I've missed out on a lot!

Hi there Ron ... good to see you in here too! This place feels more and more like the "original" forum I started out on. It's so good to be back home! :)

Randy, the facebook things ... I'm just giving you what I can think of without actually being on the site ... but you just click on the "Accept Plant" button when you get the notification, if you've never done anything on your "L'il Green Patch" then a box will come up with a disclaimer of sorts saying that you need to allow access to your info ... you just click the "allow" button. Then you will get to the screen where you can start sending plants. On that screen there are tabs and one of them will say Green Patch or something like that. You click on that tab and it will take you to your green patch. From there you just have to play around on there to figure it out.

Shine - I'm going to India at the end of April thru the middle of May for the company I work for. (Formerly Roadway now known as YRC - Yellow Roadway Corporation) We are training a company over there to rate our bills. Otherwise known as outsourcing. I volunteered to go thinking this will be a way to hold on to my job a little longer and make myself more important to the company, therefore they will find a way to keep me. I don't know if my strategy will work or not but it beats unemployment and trying to find yet ANOTHER job. I just want to be able to retire from somewhere someday.

Peg - sounds like you've had quite an adventure with the weather and all. You're such a kind and generous person. I know your neighbors are glad to have you and Cliff. Enjoy your peace and quiet now that your house is empty again!

I don't remember at the moment what all else I was going to say so I'll just call it a day for now. Kelsy and I are going to the mall to get her ears double pierced tonight. I promised her that when she asked if she could get it done, that if she got all "A's" on her report card twice in a row, I'd let her. Now it's time for me to pay up! I'm proud of her!

Take care all and I'll try to not be so long before checking back in the next time.

I'll go back and look around, Natalie. I was told by a young lady a couple of days ago that she was proud of me. She said there aren't too many people of "my generation" that would look into Facebook. LOL But I can understand that. There are a lot of my friends that not only son't have a computer, but are adamant about not getting one. I thought one of my friends would enjoy playing solitaire on the computer his wife uses, but he didn't want to have me show him. I know though that he was having trouble with his eyes and that may have been why. He left us though in early October at the age of 88. His wife is still joining us for Saturday breakfast, but he was part of that for over 20 years. He and his wife asked us if we would like to join them for breakfast over 20 years ago, they they couldn't get rid of us.

Hey Deb, Nat...so glad you all popped in...
Deb the quilt looks great...Ya did a really fine job on that...like the colors... I can just hear you Cabin Girls having a quilting bee... You all are a hoot...I was looking at different quilting patterns before the ice storm hit to do a runner for a table... The snowmobiling sounds like good fun...be safe kiddo and have lots of fun. Old age tries to creep up but we keep all the kids around to keep us young in spirit...

Randy yup helping folks in need was a way of life here and still is on my part... I think Dad taught us well.. and the land was very inexpensive...my grandpa split his farm up and sold dad over 500 acres for $450...Uncle Jess i think paid $500 for over 1000 acres.. All very good farm land.

Hey John Boy...good to see ya....Mom will appreciate the AC John even thoug she won't do that for herself... You are a good son... The winter crop sounds great... I have a few seed started and think of what else i want to grow...my choices are multiple...I have almost two full boot boxes of seed in frigerator in the wood shop... I will take a lot to the prision half way house to let the gals have something to do to fancy up the yard...

Ron it was good to see you drop in to say Hi to Nat...
Swindy, Deb, Marie, always wonderful to see ya.

Natalie I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip to India.. I sure understand wanting to hold on to your job as long as ya can.. The adventure is over for us but so many are still experiencing it... I baked a ham yesterday and took it to one of the shelters they have set up in town..

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Its about learning to dance in the rain.

Life has been unreal for our Country these past few years..
My daughter was laid off right after Christmas at Toyota and they called her back...she starts Monday...she has been there almost 10 yrs.. My step daughter with 8 month old son was laid off from a bank she has been at for around 11 yrs..

Have a good weekend everyone...

Peggy

I am past the time for being laid off from work, but it doesn't keep me from being affected. Two of my friends lost their jobs. They have both found new jobs, but they have to start all over in new fields of work. I am also sure both of them will reap some benefit from my garden too as I will surely have much more than I can use. They are both younger men close to my daughter's age and they both have families of their own.

I don't even want to talk about my job. All I can say is I am glad I don't make a fortune...should be able to get another one or 2 jobs to get by if we fail. But the perks here would be hard to beat.

I thought and thought...and decided not to leave on another snowmobile trip Monday. I need to save some vacation time for CabinGirl trips and my new grandson's birth. Bummer...I loved the first trip.

Nat, you will have an adventure, no matter what. Enjoy it. We have someone on here from India, don't we? Suzanne, I believe?

The quilting bee was a hoot. We looked like little old women all humped over!! Didn't get a whole lot done, either. Too much laughing.

It's not my neck that gets me, Debe...it's the way I "curl" myself crooked in the chair while I sew...my right hip KILLS me!! And my left thumb!! Can't be old age creeping up...just can't be:p

No way is it old age:D weall are way to young for that...;)...I have a maple rocker...alot like the type my grannie always sat in...that is about th eonly chair I can sit in for any length of time...I love the recliner...but very long in it and my lower back and hip pop all over the place...if I know I can get into the chiropractor with in a few days I will curl up in it and enjoy...but other wise I stay in my grannie rocker...LOL..

Gosh I read all th epost ...go to type and then forget every thing...

I had heard alot about facebook for a friend...and so I went to take a look around...signed up and forgot to put my madian name in the middle...but I looked it up and found someone with it...'Neukam" ......when ever my mom went any where she would look through the phone books for the name as she toldm e they would more than likly be related to us ...so i emailed this person and am looking forward to hearing from them...

peggy my heart feels for your step-daughter...when we bought this place and moved...hubby quit his job to tak another closer to this area..then with in a week of our house closing and we moving in the banks all did the fun stuff...the guy Mike was to go to work for freaked out and said he was not going to be able to have him start after all...it was a few months until hubby's old boss called him aup and said get back up here and wait out the storm...Mike has never been out of work...he had/has apps in all over the northwest...and no one was/is hiring ...I shall be keeping her in my prayers...so glad to hear your daughter is back to work though...

Deb she is creative and I am sure she will do fine... She is a go getter and I know she will land on her feet... I am optimistic and she has feelers out with everyone she encounters... I keep her and Parker in my prayers and she knows that Dad and I are here for her...

Shin it is a bummer that ya don't get to go snowmoling but I also understand wanting to save vacation time for The Cabin Girls... Just a thought but I could just see all of ya going snowmobiling together... Ya'll would have a time... I have never quilted...thought about it but never did..always thought i might but never did.. I do embroider but haven't even done that in a while.. I do sew fairly often..

I had one of my lil angels here over the weekend...she is such a joy...follows me around like a shadow...she had fun playing in my potting soil in the sun room and we planted a few more seed. She didn't wanna go home when my son came to pick her up... She says, no Dad, I stay with Nana and she just hugged my legs... Told her she was gonna miss sissy...she said I go home dad and see sissy..

I have developed a head and chest cold...gotta get over that.. can't have it.

'til laters,
Peggy

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back