Search results

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

1. errol

soiless mix

I am planning on trying winter sowing this winter. would a soiless mix consisting of peat, vermiculite, perilite, gypsum, lime, and wetting agent be ok for winter sowing seed? thanks Errol
  2. errol

mexican petunia

I have a mexican petunia that is about 4 ft tall, should I cut this back low to the ground for the winter? thanka Errol
  3. errol

need to know what this one is

A lady friend of mine gave me the seed for this flower in the fall of 2010. I sowed it that fall. But she did not know the name of it. and of course I don't either. If anyone could help..the flowers are yellow and about 1 inch across and about 12 to 14 inches tall. they started blooming back in...
  4. errol

need idenfication on these

I have a vine that is now about 16 ft long, I thought it was a sweetpea vine, the other is a ground cover, I have it growing in a hollow log and between rocks thanks Errol:confused:
  5. errol

growing huge huge garden mums

I was at the local flea market yesterday and a guy there had huge and I mean biggg huge mums!! they were beautiful. I ask him how he got them so big, and he said he throwed the "juice" to them. I ask what do you mean juice? well, he just kinda smile, and I knew then he did not want to tell me...
  6. errol

blanket flower

I have some blanket flowers in the garden and want to save some seed from these plants. I cut off a couple dried pods and they were off white or gray in color. when I open up the pods I found lots of fuzzy looking stuff, but I guess I dont really know what I'm looking for. Could someone tell me...
  7. errol

calla lily

good morning all! I am in need of some help on calla lily. I bought a calla lily back in late spring, and it did really well, bloomed great. But now it has died back, I kept it moist and I guess because I am in middle Tn and zone 6 maybe it is time for it to die back. I had it in a large pot...
  8. errol

vegetables still producing!

Still getting plenty of veggies from the cottage garden..these were harvested this morning. cukes and squash has to be harvested every morning. All veggies and flowers are from lasagna beds and four square foot garden beds. :)
  9. errol

knockout roses

A neighbor lady gave me 2 knockout roses if I would dig them up. They are 4 years old and very healthy and of course at this time of year are blooming. I dug them up this morning, and before hand I had the holes dug with compost and some composted manure I put in the bottom of the holes and...
  10. errol

Strangleweed (chokeweed???) Parasitic Dodder

Boy!! have I got a problem thats about to work me to death!! There is a really tiny round, yellow vine (no leaves) that twines around the flowers. It seem mostly on the cosmos" but will twine around anything near it. It does not seem to come from the ground, but I have seen very small tiny white...
  11. errol

canna lily

A friend gave me a canna lily. its now in a pot and about 14 inches high with blooms. I have researched this plant on the internet, but still not real sure how to handle a canna lily in my area. being in middle tn zone 6, I want to set this out in my garden, but wondering how to over-winter a...
  12. errol

what to do with daffodil's

A friend wanted me to dig up about 125 or more daffodil's. they had bloom good this spring, but she decided she was tired of them after several years. So I could have them just for digging them up. they still have some green on them, but most are starting to yellow. I have dug them up, brought...
  13. errol

starting new mums from cuttings

Hi everyone, I have a question on starting new mums from cuttings. I have several types of mums that I want to start new mums that I can set out in new areas this fall. I know that I can start mums from cuttings of the main plant. What I am wondering, Do I need to put several cuttings together...
  14. errol

planting beneath tree

Hello, I have a bradford pear tree several years old. I would like to plant hostas around it, but it seems the roots are rather shallow. Can soil, compost, be built up around the tree without harming it? Anyone had experience with planting, soil build up around trees especially with shallow...
  15. errol

need some helpful suggestions

hello everyone, sure been a long winter here in middle tn!! 6 snows so far, but looking more like spring now!! Since I am rather new at flower gardening, thought some of you might have a few suggestions. I have a 10 ft long by 30 inch wide spot in front of a small building that I want to plant...
  16. errol

moving peoni plants

I have 2 peoni plants that I would like tro move to a better location. they were started last yr from tubers (I think) And this yr one had 2 blooms (white) which was a very good size bloom. But I think they should have more sun then they are now getting. and they seem to be sitting where it...
  17. errol

garden paths

ok I will be finishing the tobacco stick fence up end of week. Now I need some advise from any of you because I know most all of you have years of garden experience over me! I started building garden paths today. right now I just laid the pavers on the grass untill a few days later I will dig...
  18. errol

tobacco stick fence

ok, I know many of you probably never heard of a tobacco stick! But I have sure handled alot of them in my younger days on my dads farm. they are just a stick, usually oak, hickory that when cutting tobacco time, the tobacco is spiked and hung on the sticks to dry.. anyways I found some old hand...
  19. errol

Rhododendron

It seems the leaves on one of my rhododendrons are kinda drooping. there are no yellow or brown leaves, they are still very green and making next years buds. the 1st 2 pictures are of the one in question. the 3rd is the other plant but the leaves are turned upward some or straight. both plants...
  20. errol

beds started

these are some of the flower beds started since end of may this yr. So maybe everything will look better next yr. Also I bought some "glad" bulbs at dollar general store today but it says plant in april-may. What to do with them now? I couldn't pass up the deal, I bought 2 packs of 12 each...for...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back